Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Family Stories

Post subject: "DITTIES" my Dad, Gerry Angel, sang....."About Angels - ........and other kin!"
 Post Posted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:58 am 
Anna Angel- Woolgar here! Again!. It's seems it will take a while for me to learn what arean is the appropriate one to Post Items. Please bear with me.

When we were kids - all 6 of us - our Dad, Gerry Angel, Sr., was quite the bard, one way he told us of our ANGEL HISTORY - only we didn't know it until we were older - and started asking questions. (Dad never had a drink in his life - not even beer - so, there was no "romancing" when he automatically burst into song.)

One I remembered, in particular, Frank McAllister will get a kick out of this - was a "ditty" Dad would sing. It was about a girl named "MARY ANN." Went like this - "I'll work all the week and do what I can - Then, I'll go out with me Girl, Mary Ann."

Finally, one of us, asked about THIS particular "ditty" in his collection.

Dad told us it was a song he had heard his FATHER, JOHN ANGEL - Married Anastasia Flynn - our PATERNAL GRANDPARENTS, sing. Dad's Father, JOHN ANGEL, was born Dec. 07, 1881 - the SON of RICHARD ANGEL(L) & MARY ANN ROGERS. MY PATERNAL GREAT GRANDPARENTS who moved to St. John's from Petty HR. to give their children freedom through Education. The move was a great success. "POP" - JOHN ANGEL, died June, 1971, in his 90th year.(Anastasia FLYNN-ANGEL - his wife and our Paternal GM., died in 1957, @ age 72. I knew them both and we would visit them after Mass on Sunday's in the Summer.

"The Song Never Dies - Just the Singer." But, as we all know, memories are kept alive through the Gift of Music.................................Anna.

The "MARY ANN" in the song, was sung by JOHN ANGEL, my GF because "it reminded him of HIS own MOTHER, MARY ANN ROGERS-ANGEL

Board index » Genealogy » Family Stories