Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Family Stories

Post subject: Riggs Family
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:37 pm 

On July 20th 1788 John Riggs and his wife Elizabeth of Bay de Verde had their four sons Stephen, William, John and Andrew baptized by Anglican minister Reverend James Balfour of Harbour Grace. The baptisms are registered in the Anglican Parish Register. I have accounted for Stephen, John and William. According to family stories Andrew left home and never returned. However, there was an Andrew Riggs who turned up in the Burin area in the early 19th century and married and is the ancestor of many of the Riggs' on the Burin Peninsula. He died February 7th 1870 age 85 years which would take his birth back to near the time of the baptisms of 1788. I am wondering if he was the same Andrew.
If anyone has any information on the Andrew Riggs of Burin or on anything related to this matter, I would be indeed interested in hearing it. I have done an almost complete family tree of all the Riggs' of Bay de Verde back to 1788.
John and Elizabeth had two other sons Thomas and James. I am descended from James. There are still descendants of William, Thomas and James living in Bay de Verde.
Thanks to NGB for providing this medium. Gerald Riggs

Post subject: Re: Riggs Family
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:11 pm 

Anyone who has any information on the first of Andrew Riggs of Burin or on anything in my first post can contact me at gandpriggs14@gmail.com Greatly appreciated.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:44 pm 

In the book Family names of the Island of Newfoundland by E.R. Seary it states ----- Duff from England, deserted ship, settled at Bulls Cove (Burin District), and changed his name to Riggs. (MUN Folklore). Is this a fact or fiction? Does anyone know more about this?

Post Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:17 pm 

To date, over 3000 people has viewed my message and not one reply about Andrew Riggs supposedly the ancestor of all the Riggs's on the Burin Peninsula. amazing.

Board index » Genealogy » Family Stories