Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Family Stories

Post subject: Broad Cove, Bonavista bay
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:04 pm 

Hello All,

Does anyone have any information on the history of Broad Cove in Bonavista BAy during the late 1700s to the early 1800s? I know it had a fire go through it in 1828 burning down almost all the houses of the tiny village of less then 200 people. But if anyone has family from Broad Cove, what are their stories of what their ancestor's life was like, and who were the families who lived there? I read that it was 100 percent Irish. Were they all from the same county in Ireland? My grandmother Mary Ellen harty was born in Broad Cove in 1881 as was her mother Catherine Ryan, born 1845. Her father was William harty, of Broad Cove. Her mother Ellen Dixon was born in King Cove in 1820. My grandmother said her family was from County Cork.

I know the Hartys have a long history in Broad Cove, perhaps one of the original early settlers. But how many hartys were there in the early 1800s

I know there was a michael Harty who married mary Keough in 1820 in Broad cove, claiming he was from Lismore Ireland and she Tintern, Wexford Ireland but when did they arrive and did he come with a brother or a male cousin who would have had a child in the 1830s or 1840s?

Any information about broad Cove in the late 1700s and early 1800s and the Irish families living there will be appreciated.

Blessings

Post subject: Re: Broad Cove, Bonavista bay
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:18 pm 

I am a Harty from Duntara (formerly BROAD COVE) Bonavista Bay. The name change took place in the early 1950’s.

The Harty name was prominent there when I was growing up but today we have been dispersed to different parts of the province of Newfoundland and indeed to many parts of Canada.

Post subject: Re: Broad Cove, Bonavista bay
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:08 am 

Hello

So glad you posted. Can you share what line of the Harty family from Duntara you are from?
My great great grandfather was Michael Harty married to Mary Kehoe in 1830 in King Cove. They had several children. I am thinking the changes of you having one of them as your ancestors is high. William Harty and Mary Kehoe had James Harty aug 14,1831, joanna harty dec 30, 1833,
anne harty july 10,1836, john harty july 11, 1838, William Harty jan 10,1841. Twins Mary and catherine march 11, 1842. this is all from the records of grand falls but I think they also had one morechild mivhael harty. William of jan 10, 1841 is my great grandfather who married Catherine Ryan who had my grandmother mary ellen harty born jan 17, 1881 in Duntara. She was orphaned at age 11. Her mother, kate harty, is buried in King Cove died of cancer in her 40s. I dont know when or how William Harty died. But my grandmother went to live with the Lanes of Duntatra with her siblings after that. When she became of age she moved to St Johns working for the Ryans on the Flakes in Quidi Vidi. She married James Peter Kelly they had several children but when James Peter Kelly died. Mary Ellen Harty Kelly and her surviving children moved to Somerville Massachusetts. My grandmother said that the family was from county cork Ireland. Are you related to Michael Harty and Mary Kehoe?
Blessings

Board index » Genealogy » Family Stories