Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Family Stories

Post subject: Kenna (McKenna), Margaret, children John, Cecelia, Anne to B
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:04 pm 

Margaret McKenna (known publicly on Fogo Island as Margaret Kenna) moved to Boston, Mass. with the three children named, leaving behind (with relatives? deceased?) siblings Herbert William Kenna and Nora Kenna after her husband, Thomas Kenna, died at an early age.

They would have had to travel during the warmer months (June-August) to avoid the ice, leaving early enough in the year to allow them to reach Boston before winter set in. So, June or July. The last known child was baptised in 1884 and Jack (John Thomas) was in Boston in 1898 where he mustered in to the 1st Mass. Heavy Artillery Volunteer Regiment for the Spanish-American War.

Steamships ran out of Saint John's to Boston fairly regularly. Getting to Saint John's would be the hard part. Coastal ferry all the way to St. John's, or a private boat to Botwood and the train from there to St. John's? The tracks arrived near Botwood about 1895-6.

Can we find out when Thomas Kenna/McKenna died?

Post subject: Kenna McKenna Margaret children John Cecelia Anne to B
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:41 pm 

Thanks gents. I am willing to regularly send money but what monthly amount would be sufficient to cover all the basics for a government education for both children and what extra should I allow if I try to give them a private school education?

I will appreciate your advice.

Miruku

Board index » Genealogy » Family Stories