Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Family Stories

Post subject: JOHN MATTHEWS AND SARAH BAGGS
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:17 pm 

Can anyone help me with info on John Matthews...he was a full Mi'Kmaq...his wife was Sarah Baggs....John Matthews daughter was Sarah Matthews and she married Michael Organ...they had a child named Frances Organ....I need Frances Organs baptism certificate.....if anyone has any info can you kindly email me at adahounsell@hotmail.com
Thank you!

Post subject: Re: JOHN MATTHEWS AND SARAH BAGGS
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:14 pm 

This info is wrong - John Matthews was not "Mi'Kmaq " he was from Devon England.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:11 pm 

Yes I agree with the other reply! John Matthews and Sarah Bagg are my gggg grandparents and John was suppose to come to NF from Devon along with a couple of brothers! I had my DNA done and my maternal lines goes to Sarah's mother, Mrs Hugh [ Jane ] Bagg and her line proves to be of English ancestry!

Post Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:56 pm 

The aboriginal ancestry is with the Organs.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:03 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Lostlady4, Found these three so far but none for Frances..unless the one without a name there is actually Frances... it's possible they had not decided on his/her name yet but still wanted him/her baptized. This was in the vital statistics for Burgeo LaPoile area.

B. Mar 18, 1840 Baziels ORGAN, Michael & Sarah / Sarah / Martin Blackmore/
Bap. Jun __, ____ C of E Fisherman

B. Apr 25, 1842 Braziels ORGAN, Michael & Sarah / __no name __/Martin Blackmore / Bap. Jun __, ____ C of E Fisherman

B. Oct 26, 1844 Braziels ORGAN, Michael & Sarah /Uriah /Martin Blackmore /
Bap. Sep 10, 1845 C of E Fisherman

Post Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:01 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Ada, Just in case you didn't know exactly what and where Braziel was... still looking for Organ, Frances, but so far only the birth that had no name listed...and the other two.....

BRAZIEL, an island and fishing settlement in Burgeo and LaPoile district. Nearest post office and all other connections at or the same as Rose Blanche, 5 miles. Pop. 12.

BURGEO. Pop. 823. Important fishing-lobstering settlement on two islands on the S.W. Coast, roughly half-way between Hermitage B. and Port aux Basques. It was partly after these islands that the political district Burgeo and LaPoile was named. Here in the late 18th century Capt. Cook, while on his map-making coast survey of Newfoundland, observed an eclipse of the sun. First settled between 1795 and 1800. 488 m. from Argentia, 75 from Port aux Basques. Burgeo, Bacalieu. 1 sawmill. Cottage Hosp. Dr. John Heath, M.H.O. Post Sav. Bnk. Customs. 29 radios. PT.Ada, Just found this in looking up Braziel...thought I would post it in case you did nopt

Post Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:03 pm 

I found Sarah Bagg (b. 1785) and Elizabeth Bagg (b. 1792) as wives of John Matthews (b. 1770). I am also confused where a Jane Matthews (b. 1773) comes in. I have something really wrong with my generations and have spent time trying to figure out where I went wrong.

Amy in NH

Post Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:13 pm 

Uriah Organ, son of Michael and Sarah (Matthews) Organ, married Mary Smith at Bonne Bay on 2 May 1874.

Among their children was Mary, born 4 Jun 1876 at Glenburnie (baptized 10 Jun 1876 at Bonne Bay), who married William Arthur Simmonds at Birchy Head 8 Jan 1898.

In their household in the 1921 Census (Glenburnie) is one James Matthews, born October 1900, described as a nephew. In the 1935 Census, he is listed as a son, and in 1945 as an adopted son.

Who are James' parents? Is he a cousin of Mary (Organ) Simmonds, descended from John Matthews and Sarah Bagg? Or is he from some other Matthews clan?

James Matthews is the putative father of my mother-in-law (he never married).

Board index » Genealogy » Family Stories