Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Family Stories

Post subject: The wreck of the "Newfoundlander"
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:55 pm 

My dad was an engineer aboard the ship "Newfoundlander" in 1954 when it was crushed by ice near Eddie's Cove in the Straits of Bell Isle. He told us stories of how the crew jumped the bellycaters and pack ice to get to the shore on the island side. Following this ordeal, he developed pnemonia in both lungs and was taken to the hospital in St. Anthony.

The "Newfoundlander" was owned by the Blackmores of Port Union. My father was very fond of the captain Fred Blackmore and his family. He wanted very much to re-locate to Port Union, but my mother wasn't having any of that! I don't think my dad ever forgave her for squashing that dream!

Post subject: Re: The wreck of the "Newfoundlander"
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:37 pm 

Hi Lynn,

The Newfoundlander was owned by my great grandfather Captain John Hann Blackmore of Port Union, my grandfather George Blackmore and his brother Fred were part of the crew when the boat sank. The Town of Clarenville used to have a picture of the Newfoundlander while she was under construction on their website. My cousin Gary Blackmore has restored Captain John's home in Port Union and has turned it into a beautiful B & B. My mother Pinah Blackmore would know of your dad as would Uncle Don. My grandfather George gave up fishing when Fred died of a heart attack and he and his brother Jacob moved to Toronto in 1961. They were building a large wooden boat in Port Union when Fred passed away and the skelton of the boat sat behind their house for years. My uncle George (Junior) Blackmore still lives in Port a Union and could also tell you some stories. What was your dad's name ? I know that many of the crew were from the Newtown and Wesleyville area of the province, other boats owned by our family were the J.H.Blackmore and the Neptune plus I am sure there were many more boats that went to the seal hunt.

Andy Short, Norman Wells, NWT

Board index » Genealogy » Family Stories