Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Family Stories

Post subject: Mayo/Gover/Brown
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:25 pm 

Hi I am Tina from Halifax N.S I am researching Family History. I am looking for info on My great great Grand Parents William James Gover immigrate to Rock Harbour Nfld In 1867from England. he Married Mary Maria Brown. and they had five children. it appears he had another wife. I would like to known who mary maria brown family is and who his other wife is. and my Great grandParents James and Elizabeth Mayo From Creston South Any info would be appreciated. :lol:

Post subject: Re: Mayo/Gover/Brown
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:57 am 

Tina marie mayo wrote:
Hi I am Tina from Halifax N.S I am researching Family History. I am looking for info on My great great Grand Parents William James Gover immigrate to Rock Harbour Nfld In 1867from England. he Married Mary Maria Brown. and they had five children. it appears he had another wife. I would like to known who mary maria brown family is and who his other wife is. and my Great grandParents James and Elizabeth Mayo From Creston South Any info would be appreciated. :lol:

Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:10 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

This may be of interest to you, as William James Gover may have went by the name of James Gover. Rock Harbour is in the Mortier Bay area of the Burin Peninsula.

Will of James Gover
from the Newfoundland will books volume 12 pages 139 & 140 probate year 1921

In re JAMES GOVER. DECEASED.

This is the last Will and Testament of me James Gover of Mortier Bay Trader I give bequeath and devise my estate and property as follows That is to say. I give to my son George Gover the whole of my Waterside property situate at Mortier Bay aforesaid consisting of wharf stores and land together with all erections on said land, with this reservation namely. Should my son Henry Gover return to Mortier Bay to reside permanently I give to him the Eastern Half of the above described Waterside land. The said property comprises the eastern half of all land below the main public road. I also give to my said son George my dwelling House, Furniture Beds Bedding, Linen and all it contains of chattles of every sort whatever Together with my Barn, shop and all Outhouses Also all live stock. That is to say Horse. Sheep and all Cattle that I may be possessed of at my decease. I give my Saw Mill and all property connected therewith to my two said sons George and Henry in equal shares. But should my said son Henry, not reside permanently in Mortier Bay then and in that case he forfeits his share of the aforesaid Sawmill and my said son George becomes the rightful owner of the whole of the said Sawmill and all property connected therewith. Should my said two sons George and Henry work together in said Sawmill on the above conditions and should either of them in the course of time wish to sell and dispose of their interest in said Sawmill and all property connected therewith There and in that case the said property, so, desiring to sell must dispose of it to one or more of my male grand children of the name of Gover Brown or Mayo and to no other person. Should neither of my said grand children be able to purchase the aforesaid half of said Sawmill then the whole of the said Sawmill shall be and become the property of my said son who retains his share of the said Mill. If more than one of my said grand children are prepared to purchase the share above mentioned my said son who retains his part of the said Mill may make his own selection from the said grand children, as his partner in the said Sawmill. It is clearly and distinctly understood that my said grand children have no claim on the said mill except one of my said sons is desirous of selling his part of the said property and it is also made quite clear that if my son Henry does not reside permanently in Mortier Bay he has no claim or interest in the said mill and my said son George is the sole owner thereof. I also give to my said son George all Vessels Boats Nets and all fishery outfits to be his absolutely and forever. I also give to my said son George two thirds of all land and property owned by me on the South Side of the main public road. I give to my said son Henry one third of all land on the South Side of the road aforesaid providing he comply with the conditions above set forth that is to say providing he resides permanently in Mortier Bay otherwise the whole of the said land is to become the property of my said son George. I direct my executors to purchase four tombstones and have them erected as follows with suitable epitaphs engraved thereon. One to my own grave and one each to the graves of my wife, my son James, and Bertha Brown. I also direct that a portion of my Stock in Trade consisting of general merchandise be sold to purchase said tombstones. The remainder of my said Stock in Trade also to be sold and the proceeds divided as follows To Annie Brown Gover I give One fourth part of said proceeds and the remaining three fourths I give in equal shares to my other grand children namely. Samuel Mayo, Eliza Ann Mayo, Barbara Elizabeth mayo Mary Maria Mayo John George Mayo Jessie Mildred Mayo Mary Ann Mayo Mary Maria Brown Eugenia Brown James Brown Flossie Gover Bertha Woundy Archibald Woundy. I appoint George A. Bartlett of Burin Merchant and my said son George Gover to be executors of this my will and I hereby revoke all other wills by me heretofore made and declare this paper writing to be my last will and testament.
In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand this twenty fifth day of April in the year of Our Lord One thousand nine hundred and Eighteen JAMES GOVER
Signed by the said James Gover the Testator in the presence of us present at the time who in his presence and in the presence of each other subscribe our names as witnesses William J. Paul Sub Collector George Edward Bartlett Constable.

CORRECT.
William F. Lloyd
Registrar of the Supreme Court of Newfoundland

(Listed in the Margin next to this will the following)
Fiat Nov 12/21
Johnson J.
Probate granted
to George Gover
Dec 9/21.
Estate sworn
at $3594.00

Post Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:53 am 

Hi Tina,
I viewed your query with much interest. My great grandfather, George Brown is the brother of your Mary Maria Brown. I would love to exchange data with you.
Marilyn

Post Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:34 pm 

Have you seen a picture of Mary Maria? I have one.

Board index » Genealogy » Family Stories