Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Family Stories

Post subject: Princess Sheila
 Post Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:27 pm 

my name is hugh w. barrett jr,and i am a second generation ny newfie.
my grandmother told a great story about her great grandmother,princess sheila of ireland.
princess sheila was traveling shipboard to france for school.her ship was attacked by pirates,and she was taken prisoner.not long after,the pirates were located by the british navy,princess sheila was freed and eventually married the ships captain,a man by the name of pike.
they settled in newfoundland.at some time(early 19th century),princess sheila was captured by macmic braves,and taken to live with them.after some time,she was rescued and returned to her family.
my grandmothers name was asenath simmons,was born in colinette in 1896,and married william barrett of whitbourne.they emigrated to white plains,ny,in1922.
her father was hugh simmons,a wealthy timber owner.
my grandfather,william,was born in whitbourne(the first inland town)in 1892.his father,also william barrett,was a seaman,who, among other things,was the first mate on "the great eastern",which layed the first transatlantic cable.
does any of this sound familiar to you?i am well aware that newfies are great"storytellers",but some of this seems just too much to be made up.i'd be interested to know if this or a similar story has been handed down through the years.
my newfoundland ancestors were:barrett,simmons,pike,neal and dawe.if anyone believes they may be related to my sister,diane of california or myself,please feel free to contact me.i'd love to hear from you.

Post subject: Re: Princess Sheila
 Post Posted: Sun May 17, 2009 12:58 am 
Sunra,

There is an article right here on the NGB website about Sheila Na Geira Pike, the "Carbonear Princess", and Gilbert Pike. You can find the article here http://ngb.chebucto.org/Articles/sheila.shtml.

A quick Google search also reveals many other stories and articles about this story, which is commonly refered to as a legend as there are very little facts to back up the story. That is not to say it is untrue, as a legend has to come from somewhere right?

Here are several pages I found about this:

http://freenet-homepage.de/hawkeyepike/bios/bio64.htm
http://www.crossroadsforcultures.ca/pirates/index.php?narId=11&language=en
http://www.bishops.k12.nf.ca/english/1201/project/famous/Sheila.htm

Hope this is of some help,
Sherwin

Post Posted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:05 pm 

thank you sherwin!i'll have some fun checking out these links.

Post Posted: Sun May 24, 2009 6:39 am 
No problem!

It was actually quite an interesting story.

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:14 am 

Hugh,

I believe that we are second cousins. Your grandmother Asenath Simmons was the sister of my grandfather George Simmons who lived in Whitbourne. Hugh William Simmons was their brother who lived in Colinet. They were the children of Lemuel Henry Simmons and Anne Pike.

I am not sure about the Princess Sheila story, but I would be very pleaseed to hear from you and exchange the information that I do have.

regards,
Dan Simmons
dws@wob.nf.ca

Board index » Genealogy » Family Stories