Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Family Stories

Post subject: SINKING OF THE BLANCHE CURRY
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:46 pm 

Can anybody please help me with information on the sinking of this ship in about 1914 with a relative of mine on board............carring slate from Wales UK

Post subject: Re: SINKING OF THE BLANCHE CURRY
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:04 pm 

Being curious (nosy?), I couldn't help but do a search ... partly because I had an uncle lost at sea when my great-uncle's schooner sank.

Nothing came up at all in the search (likely what you experienced), which is somewhat unusual when it involves a sinking.

How sure are you of the ship's name? Do you have any documentation or are you going by a family story ... which isn't always 100% reliable. :-)

Cheers
J

Post subject: Re: SINKING OF THE BLANCHE CURRY
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:30 pm 

Ah, think I figured out the problem - spelling. ;) The ship's name was actually Blanche CurrIE.

The only reference to a Blanche CurrY - a newspaper entry (that I'm pretty sure got the spelling wrong) - is actually on this web site :-) qnd repeated (with slightly different wording) at rootsweb.ancestry. See next. Is this where you got the spelling of the ship’s name?
This web site: Feb. 5 - "Blanche Curry" passed Cape Race. Not since heard of.
Rootsweb site: February 5, 1914 - SCHOONER MISSING "Blanche Curry" passed Cape Race. Not since heard of.

Found the correct spelling by following a link that is actually provided on this forum (thank you Wanda)! Go to Genealogy Hints & Tips / On-Line NL Crew Names List to access the link. It goes to the Maritime History Archive entry for A.H. Murray and Company - under section 6.03 Bills of sale, 1925-1942 you will found the Blanche Currie among the vessels listed.

If you note the date range 19*25* to 1942, it implies the ship didn’t sink in 1914.

That being said, the left side BOTTOM link -- NL Crew Members -- would seem the best way to check because your relative’s name should be listed.
A further potential option is [http://www.] nmm.ac.uk/researchers/library/research-guides/the-merchant-navy/research-guide-c6-the-merchant-navy-the-mercantile-navy-list. They are Microfiche files so there may be a fee attached to having someone check, but it might provide more information about your relative.

Hope you pop back to the forum at some point and see this info. Then again, you may already have found it – if so would you post to advise?

Cheers
J

Board index » Genealogy » Family Stories