Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Family Stories

Post subject: Holloway Family
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:48 pm 

Hello. I am new to this forum. I am in London England and have just started investigating my Family history. In April I did some work for The Lighthouse Theatre, Poole, which involved collaboration with a Newfoundland Theatre Company. We were looking at emigration from Poole to Newfoundland at the height of the 19th century Cod Fisheries. I discovered a modern photo online of three men standing beside a 'Holloway' monument to a man and his son Albert who drowned in the Humber close to shore in 1925. I thought this looked interesting, but put it out of my mind as a coincidence. I was also interested in some information I found online about Elsie Holloway, who was a photographer. Today I happened to be looking through some old letters and found a Masonic document relating to this very drowning!!! It can only be that there is some familial connection between my UK Holloways and the Newfoundland Holloways. I wonder if anyone has some information about all this. JH

Post subject: Re: Holloway Family
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:47 pm 

William George Holloway was born 1866 in Dorset England and died 1925 along with his son Albert Reginald born 1892 . They both drowned and are buried in Corner Brook Newfoundland and mentions the older brother who was killed in action 1917. If you go do districts St.Georges and click on cemeteries you will see his headstone.

Post subject: Re: Holloway Family
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:49 am 

Hi, Newfoundland Holloway family member here.
My Holloway family and yours might possibly be related but distant. The Holloway Family I come from Originated out of Oxfordshire, England. The Holloway's left for India sometime 1700's? Sometime in India they changed their lastname to Vere-Holloway. In late 1800's they left India for either back home in England or Nova Scotia, then going to Newfoundland. Few Holloways stayed in India until 1950's or 60's and left for British Columbia, Canada. If you'd like more info on these Holloways and possible relation send a reply or email to me, thanks.

Board index » Genealogy » Family Stories