Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Looking for information on George Maxwell Hiscock/Hitchcock!
 Post Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:23 pm 

Hello everyone, my name is Scott Greenwood.
I have been tracing my family history on my Dad's side on and off for about 20 years, but my Mum's side, specifically the Hitchcock (or Hiscock?) side is a mystery.

We know very little about my Grandfather, George Maxwell Hitchcock who (according to his military record) was born in 1893 on March 8th and died in Toronto in 1971. He told us some 'stuff' but not much.
He had a brother Chester, a sister Jen/Jenna and a brother Ernest, but their last name was Hiscock. His mother was Harriett(?) and his father died in a farming accident in Newfoundland when he was a boy, so his Mum up and moved them all to Calgary.

According to my Grandfather, he said the Army wrote surname as Hitchcock, instead of Hiscock incorrectly and he just kept it. Hmmm... ;) He also told me when I was little that he was 16 and lied about his age to get into the army.
But his record shows him to be about 23. Even then 16 would be tough to pass for 23. Hmm...
Lastly, we suspect he was married before my Grandmother, possibly to someone named Beatrice(?). Hmm...again!

So with that, we are at the loose ends and we would really like to know as getting information from Newfoundland seems to be tough going so far. If anyone can help, please respond asap,
Thanks, sincerely,
Scott Greenowwod

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...