Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Swedish immigrants Anders Johan Alexius and Lars Alexius
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:36 am 

Hello,

I'm looking for two of my ancestors that left for Canada via Trondheim in Norway and probably through Hull and Liverpool in England in 1900 and 1928 respectively.

Anders Johan Alexius is my grandfathers uncle. He was born in Kall, Sweden in 1866 and left for St. Johns 12 September 1900 with the ship Tasso (Allan line) according to the passenger lists from Trondheim. I haven't been able to locate him on any of the arriving ships' passenger lists that are scanned and made available over the Internet. A suppose the journey could take 2-3 weeks depending on how long they had to wait for the ship in England. Anders Johan also made another departure from Trondheim 7 may 1902. The passenger lists from Trondheim claims he is at this time living in America (which I guess is north America thus including Canada). The ships name this time was Salmo (Allan line). I am interested in how to proceed with my research about Anders Johan. How can I find information about when he arrived in Canada and where he went after that? Where did he settle? Did he get a family and did he eventually die in Canada as well?

Lars Alexis or Alexius was my grandfather. He travelled from Trondheim with shipping line Canadian to Canada 11/1 1928 and according to the immigrant database on the Internet he arrived in Canada 30 january on the ship Montclare. I know he worked as a timberman/lumberjack in British Columbia for several years but I have not been able to track his whereabouts further. Where did he live, where did he work, for how long and with what?

Any help with the above is gratefully accepted as I do not now where to start looking.

Thank you in advance

Lars Alexius

Post subject: Re: Swedish immigrants Anders Johan Alexius and Lars Alexius
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:29 am 

Some of my Swedish ancestors also came to Newfoundland in 1900. they were part of group of some 200 swedes hired to work in a sawmill in Millertown, Nfld. The mill didn't last and was closed down after a few years. My family split up. My grandmother came to Newton, Massachusetts in the USA, the rest went to Teulon, Manitoba. I located the Manitoba branch thru the Canadian Census of 1916. I read that many of the Swedes went to Nova Scotia. My grandmother was Maria Nilsson, Her brother Edward Nilsson also went to Millertown. Good luck
Sue B

Post subject: Re: Swedish immigrants Anders Johan Alexius and Lars Alexius
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:10 am 

Thank You for replying!

I have now some new information regarding Anders Johan Alexius' second travel to Canada.

The Vessel he was travelling on was called "Ionian" and he arrived in Montreal, Quebec 11 june 1902.

From the passenger list i can read that "place of ultimate destination" is Chicoutimi, Ha Ha bay.

What would be the best way to track him in Chicoutimi - Where did he go there, where was he working, did he stay there etc.?

I would very much appreciate all input regarding the above or maybe someone can point me to somebody with some insight in the city of Chicoutimi?

Thank you in advance!

Lars

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...