Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Edward George Newell
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:47 pm 

I am looking for info. regarding my family's Newfoundland connections. My Father was Edward George Newell who I am told was born in Clark's Beach NL. He was the son of the late Ebenezer and Mary Hanna (Moore) Newell.

My father passed away Jan. 1 st. 2002 in Glace Bay Nova Scotia at the age of 87 years. This is currently all the info. I have regarding my Newfoundland connection. If anyone can recommend ways to assist in the pursuit of further info. or can shed some light on the family's connection here in Newfoundland please write.

Thanks
Don

Post subject: Re: Edward George Newell
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:22 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

The following was found on this site and may be of interest to you. At least it gives you the name of Ebenezer Newell's father, WILLIAM.
Hope it helps you in your search.

Cape Breton Marriages
of Newfoundlanders

Epworth United Church
Glace Bay, N.S.
1900 - 1929

Transcribed from Reel no: MG 13, 129 at the Beaton Institute, U.C.C.B., Sydney,N.S.

Ebenizer NEWELL (B, 30, Episca) married Mary A. (MOORSE?) (S, 23, Meth) Aug 11, 190(?)(Looks like 06) in Glace Bay. Both were born in Newfoundland. Both were residing in Aberdeen at the time of their marriage. Parents of Ebenizer: William Parents of Mary: Jordan 15556 Aug 10

Hector GROVES (B, 25, United Church) married Mary NEWELL (W, 40, United Church) Oct 29, 1925 in the Parsonage, Glace Bay. He was born in Bridgeport,N.S. and she in Newfoundland. Both were residing in Glace Bay at the time of their marriage. Parents of Hector: Andrew GROVES, Annie McKINNON Parents of Mary: Jordon (MOORES?), Sarah (CRUMMEY?) (Wm. S. J. BOYCE?), Lillian (K. POLFREY?) Sidney (J. BOYCE?) 1815 Oct 29, 1925

William Gladstone NEWELL (B, 20, United Church) married Ethel Nina PAYNE (S, 18, United Church) Sept 20?, 1929 at the Epworth Church,G.B. He was born in NFLD and she in Glace Bay. Both were residing in Glace Bay at the time of their marriage. Parents of William: Ebenezer NEWELL, Mary MOORES Parents of Ethel: Frank PAYNE, Emily (WARD?) (Jordon?) NEWELL, Christine PAYNE Sidney (J. BOYCE?) 13989 Sept 19?, 1929

Post subject: Re: Edward George Newell
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:43 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

The following shows Ebenezer Newell in the Directory for North River , which is the community next to Clarkes Beach in Conception Bay. William also shows up there and they are listed as fisherman. Hope this helps in some way.

McAlpine's 1894-97 Directory
Port De Grave District
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NORTH RIVER SECTION

NEWELL Ebenczer (sic) fisherman North River
NEWELL Joseph fisherman North River
NEWELL Samuel fisherman North River
POWER Thomas fisherman North River
NEWELL Wm fisherman North River

McAlpine's 1898 Directory
Port de Grave District
North River & Vicinity

NEWELL Wm. fisherman North River
NEWELL Mrs. wid Thos North River
NEWELL Ebenezer fisherman North River

McAlpine's 1904 Directory
Port de Grave District
NORTH RIVER SECTION

NEWELL Wm, of John fisherman
NEWELL James fisherman
NEWELL Ebenezer fisherman
NEWELL Wm, of Wm fisherman
NEWELL Joseph fisherman

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...