Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Clara Gertrude Shepherd, Harbor Grace, Bryant's Cove
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:26 pm 

I am seeking geneological information about the parents and ancestors of Clara Gertrude Shepherd. I know that Clara was born on 23 May 1878 in Harbor Grace, Bryant's Cove, Newfoundland. Her father fished the Grand Banks and Labrador according to a history hand-written by my grandmother. I know that Clara fished with her father until she came to Superior, Wisconsin, US to be near a half-brother who operated a store.

She married William Eugene Meisner on 3 July 1901 in Cass Lake, Minnesota.

Clara passed on 8 March 1917 at the age of 39. It is believed that she had cancer. My grandmother was her eldest living child. She had three sons who died in infancy, and a total of 8 children.

Thank you in advance for any information you may be able to provide.

Laura Lyness

Post subject: Re: Clara Gertrude Shepherd, Harbor Grace, Bryant's Cove
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:26 pm 

Hi Laura,

I have a Clara Sheppard b. May 23, 1878 to Josiah Sheppard and Roseanna Noseworthy. Josiah and Roseanna were married Aug 20, 1875 in St. Andrews Church Bryants Cove, which is a short distance from Harbour Grace. Roseanna was the widow of Thomas Melrose so there could have been half siblings in Clara's family. Could this be your Sheppard family?

Regards,
Marj

Post subject: Re: Clara Gertrude Shepherd, Harbor Grace, Bryant's Cove
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:47 pm 

Hi Marj,

I sent you an email, but decided to post also, in the event that others are interested in this family. Thank you for your response. Yes, I believe we share the same Clara Sheppard, although I have the name spelled as Shepherd. Since you have been researching this family, can you tell me if there are different Sheppard families, or if most are a part of the same family with just different spellings?

After posting here, I concur that Clara's parents appear to be Josiah and Roseanna Noseworthy. I believe the half-brother was a product of Roseanna's first marriage to Thomas Melrose. I have not yet found the half-brother's name nor what happened to Thomas Melrose. I do have photos of Clara and pictures of her gravestone, as she is buried in the family plot in my hometown. I am anxious to learn more about this heretofore unknown branch of my family tree. I can provide information about Clara's children and decendents. Any and all information is appreciated.

Thank you again,

Laura

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...