Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Catherine Louisa Hall DOB: 11-18-1897 immigration to the US
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:36 pm 

The above mentioned is my paternal grandmother. She is listed in the 1921 census as living with her parents and then husband Harry Hoare. Somewhere between then and early 1926 she emigrated to the United States and resided in NYC. I cannot locate when she left Newfoundland or how or if she was with her husband, Harry Hoare at the time. I have search passenger ships but to no avail.
Catherine's father was William J. Hall and mother was Mary A. Hall. The brother inheriting the property after my great grandfather's death in 1957 was, I believe Alexander Hall.
Any information you hay have would be helpful.
Thank you,
Nancy Orr-Rainey

Post subject: Re: Catherine Louisa Hall DOB: 11-18-1897 immigration to the
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:58 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Catherine Louisa Hall was baptized at the Basilica, the child of William Hall and Mary McDonald. She married at the Catholic Church at Portugal Cove on 8 July 1917 to Henry Hoare, but she lived on her parent's farm on Thorburn Road.

Post subject: Re: Catherine Louisa Hall DOB: 11-18-1897 immigration to the
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:41 am 

Hello Nancy,

Catherine listed as Kathleen Hoare (25) arrived for the first time on the S.S. Rosalind at Ellis Island on 2 November 1922. She listed her father (William) and husband (Harry) as closest relatives in Newfoundland. She stated that her stay would be three months and would be meeting her friend, Mary Brennock, who resided at 312 W. 30 Street, NYC, NY. Catherine was 5' 8" and had a fair complexion, brown hair and brown eyes.

Henry Hoare (25) arrived on the S. S. Silvia at Ellis Island on 9 November 1922. He listed his father-in-law, William Hall, as his closest relative in Newfoundland. William's residence is given as Major's Path, St. John's. Henry stated he was coming to join his wife, who was listed incorrectly as Chris, at 312 W. 30 Street, NYC, NY and was looking to settle in America. Henry was 5' 10" and had a fair complexion, brown hair and blue eyes.

Catherine (25) returned on the S.S. Rosalind at Ellis Island on 4 October 1923. She again listed her father as her closest relative in Newfoundland. Mary Brennock was on this trip with her. She stated that she was now a nurse and was returning to 312 W. 30 Street, NYC, NY and was looking to settle in America. She was listed as 5' 7" and her occupation was nurse.

I located this information on Family Search. I hope this helps you in locating this couple in NYC and in furthering your research.

Yours in genealogy,
Mark

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...