Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: George Ingerman - 1882 - ? born Heavy Tree Road and resided
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:38 pm 

Hello,

I'm looking for more information on my Great Grandfather George Ingerman born in Newfoundland in July of 1882 on Heavy Tree Road. It lists his father was born in Germany and his mother in Newfoundland. I found a quote from the book Vikings to Uboats: The German Experience in Newfoundland and Labrador about a George Ingerman who was placed on the government alien watch list in September of 1940. It may be him. His wife was Irene Strong (1886-1972).

Cheers,

Rich

Post subject: Re: George Ingerman - 1882 - ? born Heavy Tree Road and resi
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:44 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

George Ingerman was the son of George Engelman (c1845-1922) and Mary Ann Benmore (c1857-1909). His grandparents were likely William and Sarah Ann Binmore who had a farm on Heavy Tree Road.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:14 pm 

Thank you Edward. I wasn’t sure as both the 1921 and 1935 census show him being born in July 1882 and birth records show a George and Mary Ann Ingerman having a George Francis Ingerman in August 1880. I wasn’t sure if they were the same person. It also shows the elder George as being born in Southampton. I believed he was born in Germany and came over in the 1870’s and married a Newfoundland born woman.

Is there any way to access the censorship list done by the Secretary of Justice to find his name. According to the book by Bassler he was reported on in September of 1940.

Cheers,

Rich

Post Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:37 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

I really don't know a whole lot of about the Ingerman family. They don't appear to have been very religious and I have conflicting information regarding births and deaths. Some of the family were listed in the 1891 census of Halifax, but the birth dates make me wonder if George Ingerman came to Newfoundland as a child. Could his father have been George Engelman Sr who arrived in the colony in the 1840s?

I do not live in St. John's, but I expect that the archives at The Rooms should have a copy of the censorship list?

Post Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:05 am 

Hi Edward,

I dug deeper into some records, I found a George Engelman child had died in Oct 1883 at the age of 2 months 17 days. George Engelman May 1846-1922 of Heavy Tree Road shows in 1921 census that he was born in May 1846 in Southampton England and came to Canada 1814. In behind you can see 1864. Someone wrote over it which looks like a 7 to be 1874 which can’t be as he married Marry Ann Binmore on Aug 8,1870. Where do you think I could find his immigration record and birth record in England? It is quite odd that there is a George dying in 1883 at a young age and another born Aug 1880 George Francis and mine showing July 1882. Are they the same or is there another. I can’t see any immigration in the 1840’s. Could you please let me know where you found that?
My oldest living 2nd Cousin Fred Ingerman born in 1939 told me that he remembered a story of how his Great Grandfather died in March 1922 from exposure due to being passed out drunk in his horse buggy after a day of delivering vegetables to St. John’s. He went drinking came out got in the buggy and gave the horse the ok to get him home. This time he went to the other homestead and there was nobody there to wake him up and get him inside. He froze to death.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:35 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

It is difficult to understand the confusion with the two Georges in the church registers. Perhaps the clergyman's diary may provide some clarification. Applications for citizenship were submitted to the Newfoundland Supreme Court. I thought I saw a land grant to the Ingerman family in the 1840s but I could be mistaken.

George Ingerman was a character and was frequently fined by the court for public drunkness. He also went by the alias George Hangerman. His daughters also had issues with the law. There was a news article regarding the death of George Ingerman. He was taken to his son's home and he died there.

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...