Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: In search of the grave of Stephen Connors
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:32 pm 

My great grandfather, Stephen Connors (aka O'Connor), of St. Johns, NL worked aboard the SS Coban, where he was fatally injured while in port at St. John, NB on January 21, 1897. An inquest was made into the circumstances of his fall from the deck to the hold of the ship by the St. John coroner (per three items in the St. John Daily Sun in January 1897). A burial permit was also issued in NB, but contacts there have not been able to find him in the cemetery specified on the permit.

His death certificate, in error, listed him as single, although he was married and my grandfather was four years of age at the time. I am wondering whether it's possible the NB burial permit was issued but that he was not interred there and his body was returned home. However, the cemetery transcriptions on this site are partial, and I'm unable to find him. I'm fairly confident he would be in a Roman Catholic cemetery. He was the husband of Mary (Cahill) Connors/O'Connor.

I'm looking for recommendations on the next step in my search. Any and all help is appreciated!

Post subject: Re: In search of the grave of Stephen Connors
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:36 pm 

I am happy to say that my search has been successful, thanks to the Catholic Diocese of St John, New Brunswick. Stephen is buried in an unmarked grave in the Marine Lot at Fernhill Cemetery in St John, NB.

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...