Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Richard FOLEY of Colliers . Conception Bay
 Post Posted: Tue May 25, 2021 6:54 pm 

I am looking to connect with any person who can provide me with any aspect of the life and family history of the Richard FOLEY noted in this Register of Marriages record (see below).
This 1905 Marriage record (see below) and anecdotal reference to his tragic(?) death is all the information I currently have.
In particular I would be interested in knowing:
1) Is this Richard Foley, Fisherman of Colliers, as noted in the 1904 McAlpine's Directory (... and whose father, I believe, was also named Richard Foley?) ?
2) Did Richard and (Mary?) Josephine (Conway) have any children?
2) What was Richard's Time of Death and Cause of Death?
Of course connecting with anyone who has researched or is currently researching this FOLEY genealogy would be most welcome.
In advance, thank you, any information and/or assistance you can provide would be much appreciated.

----------------------------------------------
Newfoundland Vital Records
District of Placentia & St. Mary's
Register of Marriages

Date of Marriage: 1905 November 25

Place of Marriage: St. Bride's

Name and Surname: Richard FOLEY
Religious Denomination: Roman Catholic
Residence at Time of Marriage: St. Bride's

Name and Surname: (Mary?) Josephine CONWAY
Religious Denomination: Roman Catholic
Residence at Time of Marriage: St. Bride's

By Whom Married: H.T. Renouf

Witnesses:
John CONNORS
Minnie CONWAY

Registering Officer: H.T. Renouf
----------------------------------------------

Post subject: Re: Richard FOLEY of Colliers . Conception Bay
 Post Posted: Fri May 28, 2021 8:06 pm 

Q1 Richard Foley that you might be looking for came from St. Brides born 1873. If you look at 1904 there was a Richard Foley from Colliers born 1879. Richard Foley from St. Brides married Mary Josephine Conway 1905. He must have died between 1905 and 1914. It shows Josephine Foley getting married to James White in 1914 both were Widowed. ????????

Post subject: Re: Richard FOLEY of Colliers . Conception Bay
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:16 am 

Thank you Doug Bishop.
The Richard FOLEY of St. Bride's that you mention is indeed the one I am looking for further information on.
Baptized by Rev. P.J. Delaney of Sacred Heart Parish on 31 March in 1873, he was the son of John FOLEY and Jane DOHEY.
Richard FOLEY and Mary Josephine CONWAY were married in November of 1905.
There is mention (in a related obituary) of Richard passing away tragically but I have no further details. Tuberculosis was rampant at the time and loss of life at sea (i.e., sealing ship disasters, etc.) also possible but I am not yet finding either a recorded date of death or cause of death or interment/cemetery location.
Mary Josephine (Conway) FOLEY married her second husband James WHITE in November of 1914 so as you suggest our only safe assumption would be that Richard died sometime between 1905 and 1914. James WHITE's first wife Alice FOLEY (also of St. Bride's .... I believe) died of tuberculosis in February of 1913.
From here I will work toward finding answers on:
1. Richard FOLEY's date of death and cause of death and interment/cemetery location.
2. Did Richard FOLEY and Mary Josephine CONWAY have children(?) and, if so, what are their names/dates of birth(?).
Any assistance provided will be greatly appreciated ... certainly further direction on best records to look into.

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...