Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Elizabeth Brace - d/o William Cole Brace & Eliza Hollett, Quidi Vidi
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:23 am 

Hi, I'm looking for any info/records on Elizabeth Brace. She was born abt. 1840 and was supposedly one of at least three children I know of born to William Cole Brace (b. 06 Nov 1814 in Quidi Vidi, d. 05 Apr 1898, Greens Harbour) and Eliza Hollett b. Sound Island, Placentia Bay, d. 02 Feb 1847 in St. John's. William and Eliza were married in 03 Oct 1843 in St. John's at the Anglican Cathedral. I have had some very kind local research assistance on finding quite a lot about the Brace family of Quidi Vidi, but definitive information for Elizabeth Brace is still elusive and there appears to be gaps in the records around her birth date. She is likely to have at least two brothers born about the same time, William and Samuel Brace.

Elizabeth Brace later emigrated to New Zealand with members of the Foote and Gibbons family, who had bought a 134 ft Brigantine named "Clara" to transport saw milling equipment to New Zealand and start a new business. The Clara departed St. John's on 24 December 1865 (under the command of a Captain Roper) and arrived in Onehunga, New Zealand in 30 June 1865. I believe Elizabeth's husband (my great, great grandfather Edward James Angell - b. 20 Mar 1840, Petty Harbour, son of Edward Angel and Elizabeth Williams m. 25 Nov 1830 in the Cathedral of St John the Baptist, St. Johns) was also traveling on the Clara, possibly as a member of the crew as he was not listed as a passenger. The couple were married on 14 Sep 1865 in Onehunga, New Zealand from the house of the "Mrs. Gibbons", who had also been on the Clara. There is an online article about the voyage of the Clara taken from the diary of one of the passengers on a New Zealand heritage site called "The Journey Out".

I would value any assistance or info anyone out there regarding Elizabeth Brace and the Clara, and would be happy to exchange any info I have on the Angell/l and Brace families. - Sarah

Post subject: Re: Elizabeth Brace - d/o William Cole Brace & Eliza Hollett, Quidi Vidi
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:47 am 

I should have added that William Cole Brace later married Caroline Barrett on 08 Mar 1850 at the Congregational Church in St. John's. They had at least 1 child, Josiah (Joseph) Brace b. abt 1850 in Greens Harbour and who married Lucretia Cooper on 16 Feb 1864 in Greens Harbour.

Any info on the possible half siblings or siblings of Josiah (Jospeh) Brace would also be much appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Elizabeth Brace - d/o William Cole Brace & Eliza Hollett, Quidi Vidi
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:26 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

This would mean that Josiah Brace was 14 when he was married.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:45 pm 

Yes, and I don't think that's likely, even if it is an approximate birth date indicated on a family tree. Given that William Cole Brace supposedly married Caroline Barrett on 08 Mar 1850 (after Eliza Howlett died 02 Feb 1847), I'm more inclined to believe he was either an "early Christening, ahem" (something my great grandmother apparently used to say) or that he was in fact the child of William Cole Brace and Eliza Howlett, but was later attributed to Caroline Barrett because she became his step-mother at a very young age.

A good deal of information on the earlier generations of the Brace family was discussed by Al Beagen in his genealogy notes. However, his material does not provide much guidance on the generation of William Cole Brace, and there appears to be gaps in the records for the Brace family of Quidi Vidi around this time. Probably due to something catching fire, which is the usually the eventual cause that I find for missing records that haven't simply walked away! :-D

Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:21 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

I have long been interested in the passengers on the Clara. Was there a relationship between Elizabeth Brace and Esther (Hollett) Davey?

Have you looked at the court records in New Zealand? On 17 December 1887, Henry Edward Chafe of Petty Harbour appointed Peter Oliphant of Auckland, New Zealand as his attorney. I have an idea that one of Henry's cousins, either Edward Angell or George Williams, owed him some money. George Williams married at Auckland on 9 September 1877 to Eliza Jarod.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:05 am 

Hi Edward. I suppose I should start off by asking whether our family money owes your family money? ;) We in fact did not know that George Williams came to New Zealand, but given your information that he was a cousin I assume he was one of the children of the siblings of Edward Angell's mother, Elizabeth Angell (nee Williams), d/o John Williams and Mary English? Regardless, we would love to hear about George Williams. I only have Elizabeth Angell (nee Williams) having 4 siblings, James Jane, Eleanor and Christiana Williams with no details of their marriages or children. I assume you've looked on the New Zealand Historical BDM site (it lists George Charles Williams m. Elizabeth Theresa Jared in 1877).

In terms of the Clara, the only passenger list I have was obtained online through the Public Record Office of Victoria, Australia. You may already be aware that the Clara stopped Hobson Bay, south of Melbourne (where Captain Henry Roper was duly fined 74 pounds for not having sweet and wholesome provisions' and annoyingly, not producing proper paperwork. If you're looking for a copy of this list (which I am unsure is complete) It can be found in the Index of Inward Passenger Lists for British, Foreign and New Zealand Ports 1852 - 1923. This lists 40 individuals (including Captain Henry Roper, but does not include a 2nd Mate (referred to as "Bull"), a Norwegian 1st Mate named "Ness" (Jorgen R Nop), 6 other crew, 2 cooks and 2 stewards and Clara Peace Christian Foote who was born ashore in Melbourne. On leaving Onehunga, NZ on 4 Sept 1865 the crew list for the Clara includes three of the crew I can identify as being from the original voyage from St. John's: Edward Pendergast (A.B), Jorgen R Nop (Chief Mate - Ness) and Patrick Walsh (A.B). My great, great grandfather Edward James Angell is not listed among the passengers, but we had strongly suspected that he was a member of the unlisted crew given his nautical background. However, if his cousin George was here it may be that he came out earlier. This is a mystery I would like to solve.

Also, the article I mentioned above regarding "The Voyage Out" gives a particularly good account of the voyage if you haven't read it, but mostly focuses on the experiences of the Foote, Gibbons and Peace (Pearce?) Families.

The only Davie's [Davey's] I have on my Passenger list are: Mrs. Davie (aged 27) with infant aged 1, Eugenie Davie (aged 2) and George Davie. Does the details of "Mrs. Davie" accord with the ones you have with Esther (Hollett) Davey? If Esther was in fact a Hollett she was likely a cousin of Elizabeth Brace, though her mother Eliza Hollett - This would also explain why Elizabeth Brace was onboard in the first place! Unfortunately the only information I have on the siblings of Eliza Hollett are a Susannah Hollett who married a George Baker in 12 Nov 1838 and a Harriet Hollett who married an Andrew Riggs in 11 Nov 1844. If you happen to know more I would love to exchange info.

Now given that the Clara and all its equipment was sold on arrival to pay for the debts incurred by the voyage it is possible that Edward James Angell may have owed money back in Newfoundland, hopefully it was George though :-D. It may have been that Edward never intended to stay, but given that ship was sold and that he also appears to have formed an "onboard attachment" to my great great grandmother (who he married on 14 Sep 1865 in Onehunga, 3 months after they arrived in New Zealand) he decided to stay. I have some clippings (somewhere) of the digitized NZ Newspaper records which talk about the Clara, the mid voyage collision, anticipated arrival date etc and ending with the sale for payment of debts. Let me know if you don't already have these.

Would love to exchange any info you may have - Sarah Angell

Post Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:54 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Sarah,
According to Green's Harbour 1889 Voting List, Joseph Brace, s/o William, was born in St. John's.

Green's Harbour 1889 Voter's List Trinity Bay District
Qualification: Males 21 Years and Upward; Females 25 Years and Upward
Name Householder Age Where born Occupation Name of Father Colony Resident District Resident
Brace, Samuel " 48 St. John's " William Brace " "
Brace, William " 75 St. John's Cooper Richard Brace " "
Brace, James " 37 Green's Harbour Fisherman William Brace " "
Brace,Joseph " 39 St. John's " " " "

I don't have William Brace's marriage record to Caroline Barrett yet to know where they married.

William Cole Brace was the youngest of the five children I have found thus far for Richard Brace & Mary Ash. I suspect they had a few more children, older than William.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:55 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Edward & Sarah:

Which George Williams married Eliza Jarod?

Thanks,
Trishe

Post Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:51 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Sarah, it has been many years since I did my research on the Clara so I am a bit foggy on my sources. I read the journal of Margaret Peace and I believe "The Voyage Out" is based on her diary.

Margaret Sharp Ferguson married Robert Peace on 12 November 1845 at Greenock, Scotland.
Their children were baptised at St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church, St. John’s, Nfld. I believe I recreated the passenger list from the local newspaper shipping news and church records. I have no information regarding any of the crew. My notes list Esther (Hollett) Davey has having children: Thirza H., aged 3 years; Eugenie, aged 2 years; and Clara R., infant. John Davey of London married Esther Hollett, 4th daughter of Joseph Hollett of Burin, in August 1860, at the Church of England Cathedral.

I wish I could claim that I was familiar with genealogical websites for Australia and New Zealand but I am not. Most of my information comes from sources in Newfoundland.

There was a small immigration from Petty Harbour to Australia. On 17 November 1852, Lucretia (Chafe) Watt and her husband left Newfoundland on the Schooner Sybil. Sarah (Williams) Jenkins and her husband Henry went to Melbourne. She died there on 3 May 1873. I believe Sarah was the daughter of Thomas Williams and Susanna Chafe born circa 1824, and the sister of George Williams, born 4 April 1834, who went to Auckland.

Henry E. Chafe (1821-1894) was the son of Edward Chafe and Sarah Williams. Edward was the son of Henry Chafe and Elizabeth (?Angel), and John Williams and Sarah Bidgood. Lucretia (Chafe) Watt and Sarah (Williams) Jenkins were his first cousins. Henry E. Chafe married Anne Doyle, daughter of Margaret (Williams) Doyle of Bay Bulls and Luke Doyle of St. John's. Margaret was the aunt of Elizabeth (Williams) Angel. Elizabeth had many siblings: Margaret, William, Mary, Priscilla, Jane, Christina, John, Elizabeth, Eleanor, Thomas, James, and Richard. Most of them resided in St. John's and are mentioned in the property transactions for the estate of their grandmother Elizabeth (Gerrard) English McLean (1766-1849).

So many names, so many complex relationships...it makes the mind spin. By the way, I think that Edward Chafe may have acquired the Angel fortune so perhaps it is I who owe you money!

Post Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:47 am 

I wouldn't worry about the money. Given the amount of Chafe's I'm constantly finding in my family tree they deserve it based on their apparent ability to marry and out breed everyone within a 100 mile radius! Besides, based on the folklore of lost Angell millions the family seems to have an historically uncanny ability to loose fortunes :-)

If you're interested I looked up some info on George and Elizabeth Williams m 1877. I can find at least two of their children born in NZ: Alice May Williams b. 1880 and George Thomas Williams b. 1878. Also, factoring in approximate dates, it appears George Williams died in NZ in 1885, which would mean Henry Edward Chafe was trying to obtain money from his estate, or it was my gggrandfather who he was chasing for the money. Given how common the name George Williams is I can't be 100% sure of the death date (unless you order the certificate from NZ), but the dates do seem to fit.

I also wanted to ask why you first became interested in the Clara. Are there any particular relatives you think may have been onboard? My Father and I had considered trying to look into whether the Crew Lists in Newfoundland might have more information, and wondered if you've looked into this before? It took us a long time to find the passenger list from Victoria, and we hadn't been able to locate an outgoing passenger list from Newfoundland.

Oh, and don't talk to me about complex relationships...the amount of times I've found my Newfoundlander ancestors marrying their cousins I'm surprised I'm not walking around with extra fingers. It was probably a smart move on my gggrandparents part to move to NZ, if only to expand the gene pool a little. You'll also be totally unsurprised to know Edward James Angell kept up the repetitive naming traditions of Petty Harbour:

Children of Edward James Angell and Elizabeth Brace m. 14 Sep 1865, Onehunga, New Zealand:
1. William Henry Angell b. 22 Mar 1866 in Auckland, New Zealand (somewhat early christening...ahem)
2. Sarah Theresa Gillespie Angell b. in 02 Jul 1867 Huia, Auckland, New Zealand
3. Albert Edward Angell b. 25 Oct 1869 b. Huia, Auckland, New Zealand
4. George James Angell b. 04 Feb 1872 in Auckland, New Zealand
5. Elizabeth Albertha Angell b. 07 May 1876 in Auckland, New Zealand

Post Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:08 am 

Edward - re: children of Richard Brace and Mary Ashe: I have come across information for 10 children of this couple, but mostly from other family trees father than primary sources. I have Sarah, Ebenezer, Marjory Ann, John (died young - aged abt 2), Mary, John, Richard, George, Jane and William Cole. While I have definitive death dates for just about all of them and marriage details for all but three, I only have definitive birth dates for 4.

I forgot to say I finally managed to visit Newfoundland and Petty Harbor last year in August. It was amazing to walk around the area where the family had lived all those years ago on the point plantation. Had some great fish and chips at Chafe's Landing and watched the sunset over the harbor. I'm hoping to take my Dad there seeing he was the one who started looking into the family history all those years ago and first sparked my interest.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:30 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Thank you for the additional information on the Angell family. I have a cousin in the US who will be especially interested in this as he is descended from Mary Ann (Angel) Wall.

Sarah, my interest in the Clara was academic. I wrote my Masters thesis on emigration from
Newfoundland, 1845-1860, which was a period of great economic hardship. The vast majority headed to Boston including a few of the Braces.

Below are some Newfoundland newspaper vitals for the Brace family:

Thomas Brace married Hannah Maria, daughter of Michael Squires
(Gazette, 1 June 1853)

Zechariah Batstone of Quidi Vidi married Mary, daughter of Thomas Brace of Quidi Vidi
(Newfoundlander, 8 December 1856).

Susanna Brace of Brampton, married John Blake of Toronto
(Newfoundlander, 25 December 1861)

George Brace, aged 87 years, native, died 25th.
(Royal Gazette, 1842)

William Brace of Quidi Vidi
(Gazette, 10 February 1846)

Eliza, wife of William Brace
(Gazette, 2 February 1847)

Richard Brace, 93 years, native of this colony
(Times, 26 February 1855)

Mary A., widow of Richard Brace, aged 82 years
(Newfoundlander, 29 December 1856)

Thomas Brace, aged 57 years, of Quidi Vidi, buried from the Congregational Church
(Newfoundlander, 23 September 1858)

Sarah, wife of Richard Brace, 68 years, died at Berlin, New Jersey
(Newfoundlander, 25 April 1872)

Richard Brace, 79 years, died at Trenton, New Jersey
(Gazette, 29 January 1878)

John Brace, 65 years
(Harbour Grace Standard, 3 November 1882)

Ebenezer Brace, aged 63 years, died 20th
(Gazette, 21 February 1883)

Post Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:56 am 

Thanks Edward, that certainly confirms a lot of the details I had for some of the Brace family, as well as a few points I didn't have at all.

Based on that info there are two things I'll have to look into: (1). The only John Brace I have at this stage was b. 7 Dec 1806 in Quidi Vidi - which would have made him 75 at the time of his death (and not 65) if he died in 1882 per the reference to the Harbour Grace Standard. Either the age is wrong or there was another John Brace that I don't yet have a reference for (more likely the later);
(2) The reference to the death of Sarah, wife of Richard Brace in Berlin, New Jersey - I know this Richard moved to New Jersey, and the the death date you gave me matches my records. However I have him marrying a Mary Stares, so I have to wonder if the marriage to Mary Stares is incorrect, Richard Brace in fact married twice (probably marrying Sarah once in New Jersey?), or Sarah and Richard are another couple altogether. Something to keep me occupied anyway.

Interested to hear about the subject of your thesis. In 1865 the trip from Newfoundland to New Zealand was a perilous journey, with little reward on arriving given how young the colony was. We had often wondered what motivated our ancestors to make such a journey across the globe and start a new life.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:59 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

MARRIAGES from 1754 Cathedral of St John the Baptist (St Johns Anglican Cathedral)
PART FOUR (1825 - 1834)
DATE OF MARRIAGE PLACE OF MARRIAGE GROOM BRIDE WITNESSES REMARKS
Nov 6 1828 St. Johns Thomas BICKHAM, bach, St Johns Susan BRACE, spin, St Johns Maria Knight, Charles Batstone

MARRIAGES from 1754 Cathedral of St John the Baptist (St Johns Anglican Cathedral)
PART FOUR (1825 - 1834)
May 22 1829 St. Johns Richard BRACE, bach, St Johns Mary STEARS, spin, St Johns John Woods, Sarah Holwell

PART FOUR (1825 - 1834)
Aug 17 1830 St. Johns Thomas PRENDERGAST, bach, Quidi Vidi Jane BRACE, widow, Quidi Vidi Catherine McGrath, William Earle

PART FOUR (1825 - 1834)
May 18 1831 St. Johns Philip BRACE, bach, Quidi Vidi Mary PRENDERGAST, spin, Quidi Vidi William Earle, Margaret Horwood

Anglican Cathederal of St. John the Baptist 1796 - 1848 Baptisms
NAME OF CHILD PARENTS MOTHER's MAIDEN NAME if known DATE OF BIRTH DATE OF BAPTISM PLACE OF BIRTH FATHER's OCCUPATION ADDITIONAL INFO from church records RESEARCH NOTES
Susanna BRACE William & Martha STANSBURY b Nov 12 1842 bap Nov 27 1842 Quidi Vidi fisherman Married 1841, he of Quidi Vidi.

NAME OF CHILD PARENTS MOTHER's MAIDEN NAME if known DATE OF BIRTH DATE OF BAPTISM PLACE OF BIRTH FATHER's OCCUPATION ADDITIONAL INFO from church records RESEARCH NOTES
Thomas William BRACE William & Martha STANSBURY b Nov 29 1844 bap Dec 26 1844 Quidi Vidi fisherman

Margery Jane BRACE Philip & Mary PRENDERGAST b Feb 8 1843 bap Apr 5 1843 Quidi Vidi fisherman

Mary Ann HENNEBURY Joseph & Dorcas BRACE not given bap Dec 24 1843 Quidi Vidi fisherman Married 1842.

William Henry JANES John & Jane BRACE b June 3 1844 bap Oct 13 1844 St. Johns domestic servant Married 1836, he of Abbotskerswell, Devon.

VITAL STATISTICS VOLUME 23 (MARRIAGES): CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH,
St Johns, Newfoundland Part - 1 (1832 - 1862)
DATE PLACE GROOM GROOM'S INFORMATION BRIDE BRIDE'S INFORMATION WITNESSES OTHER INFORMATION PROVED RESEARCH NOTES
July 28 1802 St. Johns George BRACE Ann ROBERTS James Milledge?, Thomas Nurse, George Ney (?Vey), John Barnes, John Masters

DATE PLACE GROOM GROOM'S INFORMATION BRIDE BRIDE'S INFORMATION WITNESSES OTHER INFORMATION PROVED RESEARCH NOTES
July 23 1842 St Johns John James BRACE Sarah Jane BARRETT William C. Brace, Elizabeth Batstone, Samuel Jeynes, Louisa Street Rains, Sarah Janes

Dec 3 1856 St. Johns Zachariah BATSTONE bach, Quidi Vidi Mary BRACE spin, Quidi Vidi Thomas Brace, Richard Horner?

PART TWO (1783 - 1801)
Nov 13 1798 St. John's George BRACE JR Jane FRY Richard Brace, Mary Brace

CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH, ST JOHNS, NEWFOUNDLAND: VITAL STATISTICS VOLUME 23 (BURIALS)
NAME OF DECEASED DATE OF DEATH PLACE of DEATH AGE CAUSE of DEATH if given PLACE of BIRTH if given RESEARCH NOTES
William BRACE d Feb 4 1846 Quidi Vidi 88 yrs not given not given William BRACE was bapt Apr 2 1758 St Johns, as William Evans Brace, the son of Robert (aka Thomas) & Margery BRACE.

PART TWO (1783 - 1801)
Apr 27 1784 St. John's Thomas BRACE Bridget DICKENS none given

PART FOUR (1825 - 1834)
Dec 19 1826 St. Johns Samuel HOLWILL (HOLWELL), bach, St Johns Sarah BRACE, spin, St Johns Puck? Brace, Sarah Woomand?

PART TWO (1783 - 1801)
Nov 4 1796 St. John's Richard BRACE Mary ASH James Dickens, William Brace

CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH, ST JOHNS, NEWFOUNDLAND: VITAL STATISTICS VOLUME 23 (BURIALS)
NAME OF DECEASED DATE OF DEATH PLACE of DEATH AGE CAUSE of DEATH if given PLACE of BIRTH if given RESEARCH NOTES
Richard BRACE d Feb 19 1855 St Johns 93 yrs not given not given Richard BRACE was bap Jan 10 1763 St Johns, the son of Thomas & Margery Brace. He married 1790 to Mary ASH.
-----------------------------------------------
PART FOUR (1825 - 1834)
May 28 1825 St. Johns Thomas J. BRACE, bach, Quidi Vidi Mary BLUNDEN, spin, St Johns Anne Snelgrove, James Prendergast

1864-1865 Hutchinson's Newfoundland Directory - St. John's:
Brace, Alfred S. professor of music
Brace, Ebenezer bookbinder
Brace, George overseer of prisoners/St.John's Penitentiary
Brace, Mary wid of Thomas
Brace, Richard keeper, St. John's Penitentiary
Brace, William fisherman

Nathan BRACE Thomas & n/g (?Mary) (BLUNDEN)? not given bap Mar 25 1842 St. Johns fisherman A Thomas BRACE & Mary BLUNDEN were married 1825.

Sarah BRACE Thomas & Mary BLUNDEN b May 3 1844 bap May 24 1844 St. Johns fisherman Married 1825.
-------------------------------------------------------

CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH, ST JOHNS, NEWFOUNDLAND: VITAL STATISTICS VOL 23 (BAPTISMS)
NAME OF CHILD PARENTS MOTHER's MAIDEN NAME DATE OF BIRTH PLACE OF BIRTH DATE OF BAPTISM OTHER INFO provided in church entry RESEARCH DATA
Mary BRACE Richard & Mary ASH b Mar 9 1804 St. Johns bap May 13 1804 Married 1790 Anglican Cathedral
--------------------------------------------
CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH, ST JOHNS, NEWFOUNDLAND: VITAL STATISTICS VOL 23 (BAPTISMS)
NAME OF CHILD PARENTS MOTHER's MAIDEN NAME DATE OF BIRTH PLACE OF BIRTH DATE OF BAPTISM OTHER INFO provided in church entry RESEARCH DATA
John BRACE Richard & Mary ASH b Dec 7 1806 Quidi Vidi bap Jan 10 1807 Married 1790 Anglican Cathedral
----------------------------------------------
George BRACE Richard & Mary ASH not given St. Johns bap Apr 11 1809 Married 1790 Anglican Cathedral

Brace, William fisherman

The Harbour Grace Standard 1887 Deaths
Surname Publish Date Details
BRACE, George Apr. 16, 1887 At Charlottetown, P.E.I., March 2nd, George BRACE, an old and respected citizen of that place. Formerly of St. John's, Nfld.
---------------------------------------------
Jane BRACE Richard & Mary ASH not given St. Johns bap Jan 28 1812 Married 1790 Ang Cath.

PART FOUR (1825 - 1834)
Feb 19 1833 St. Johns William DODD, bach, Dartmouth Jane BRACE, spin, St Johns John Bright, T.H. Littlehales?
----------------------------------------------
William BRACE Richard & Mary ASH b Nov 6 1814 St. Johns bap Mar 2 1815 Md 1790 Ang. Cath.

Marriages Part 1 1830 - 1870 St. Thomas Anglican Church, St John's, Nfld
DATE PLACE OF MARR GROOM BRIDE WITNESSES REMARKS / RESEARCH NOTES
Oct 3 1843 St Johns William BRACE, bach, St Johns Eliza HOLLETT, spinster, South Island, P.B. John Brace, Elizabeth Tuff

Green's Harbour 1889 Voter's List Trinity Bay District
Qualification: Males 21 Years and Upward; Females 25 Years and Upward
Name Householder Age Where born Occupation Name of Father Colony Resident District Resident
Brace, Samuel " 48 St. John's " William Brace " "
Brace, William " 75 St. John's Cooper Richard Brace " "
Brace, James " 37 Green's Harbour Fisherman William Brace " "
Brace,Joseph " 39 St. John's " " " "

Brace, William fisherman
--------------------------------------
**Note: Ebe

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:01 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Sorry, I was attempting to add a note and the box kept moving on me.

Ebenezer Brace of the 1864 St. John's Directory was the grandfather of Magistrate Ebenzer Brace & Crown Surveyor Samuel Brace.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:20 am 

Thanks for the info Trishe. I had quite of few of the Brace's you listed, and I'll need to sit down and seriously got through things to work out how the others fit in...if they fit in at all, which seems to be a trend lately! I haven't done nearly as much on the Brace family compared to the Angel's, as I only found out about my probable Brace family line from Ray after visiting Newfoundland last August - Sarah

Post Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:40 am 

Continuing my search for the origins of Elizabeth Brace b. abt 1841, NFD:

I was recently looking through Al Beagan's "Genealogy Notes" and was wondering about anyone thoughts about the first marriage of William Cole Brace (b. 06 Nov 1814, Quidi Vidi, NFD to Eliza (Elizabeth) Hollett (b. Abt. 1814 in South Island, NFD). This couple was married on 03 Oct 1843 at the Anglican Cathedral in St. John's, NFD.

I understand Eliza Brace nee Hollett died on 24 Jan 1847 in St. John's NFD - and William Cole Brace did not marry his 2nd wife, Caroline Barrett at the Congregational Church in St. John's on 08 Mar 1850. However, Joseph (Josiah) Brace (b. Feb 1846, in St. John's) is listed is being the child of William Cole Brace and Caroline Barrett, 4 years before the couple were supposedly married. I have noted sources citing an alternative birth date of Josiah Brace of 1850, perhaps used to later gloss over the existence child born prior to the couples marriage in 1850. Also, there are various web references to another child of this couple, Samuel Brace being born Aug 1846, which seems to contradict the Feb 1846 birth date of Josiah Brace, unless these were baptismal dates.

I was wondering whether there is any possible evidence pointing to Joseph/Josiah Brace and/Samuel Brace being the children of William C. Brace and Eliza Hollett? Or perhaps a situation in which William and Eliza Brace were no longer "together" and William and Caroline were already having children prior to their marriage in 1850.

This is absed on m current premise that my 2nd great grandmother, Elizabeth Brace (b. abt. 1841) may in fact have been a child of William Cole Brace and Eliza Hollett. I have undertaken some research into the matter and have noted the following:

- On the 1864/1865 trip out to New Zealand, Elizabeth Brace was traveling with a Mrs. E Davies (nee Hollett) who was likely a cousin of Eliza Brace (nee Hollett). The rest of the passengers were mostly made of individuals from the Gibbons/Foote and Pearce families. Elizabeth Brace and Edward James Angell were later married in NZ at the House of R.P Gibbons, Elizabeth Gibbons and Emma Gibbons.
- I can find no other candidates in the Brace family that could be the parents of this Elizabeth Brace, however I have also been unable to find a record of the birth of any Elizabeth Brace as some of the records for this period are missing (probably due to the common outbreak of fires in Newfoundland).
- It has also occurred to me that perhaps Elizabeth Brace was an illegitimate child of an Unknown Brace.

So while I suspect Elizabeth Brace b. abt 1841 may be the daughter of William C. Brace and Eliza Hollett I have no evidence to confirm this - and looking into the situation of William Brace and his two wives and various children has only given me more questions. Our family history records that Edward James and Elizabeth Angell never spoke of their relations back in Newfoundland and in fact their marriage and death certificates either don't include their parents names, or include the wrong name of Edward James' father (Edward Angell's death certificate lists his father's name as 'John Angel', which was later found to be incorrect - his parents were in fact Edward Angel and Elizabeth Williams). The only clues I have beyond the connection to Hollett family is an old photo of Elizabeth Angell nee Brace taken in later life, Elizabeth death and marraige certificate that either completly omit her paretns names or in the case of her death cetficate only lists the surname "Brace" for her father.

I may of course never find out who Elizabeth Brace was related to, however I would value anyone's thoughts on the 'placing' of the children of William Brace between his first wife, Eliza Hollett and Caroline Barrett.

- Sarah Angell

Post Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:07 pm 

i believe my family bible hollett's may help you in the bible section, brent sweet.

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...