Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Thomas Brown of Bay Roberts
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:42 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

I am still trying to identify where Thomas came from, through my DNA test on FAMILYTREE DNA it shows that I am related to BROWNS of CURZON VILLAGE. Also Browns in the Bonavista Bay area. It states in the Voters list of 1889 that Thomas Brown arrived in the colony and Distrivt of Riverhead 64 years ago which means he arrived about 1825 from parts unknown.
Would appreciate any help that anyone comes across during research.

The probate petition for the estate of Thomas Brown indicts he was drowned in January 1849. He left a widow and seven children: John (13), Thomas (11), Elizabeth (9), James (7), Mary Jane (5), Stephen (3), and Caroline (1). His estate was valued at 50 pounds.

In the 1889 Voters List for Bay Roberts it says the following;

Thomas Brown 64 years in Colony and District Riverhead
William Brown -Age 64 yrs
John Brown - Age 53 yrs
Thomas Brown - Age 51 yrs
Stephen Brown - Age 42 yrs

I would believe that since Thomas Brown drowned in Jan 1849 that reference to Thomas in the Voters List would be to identify his sons. Seeing that Thomas Brown was 64 years in the Colony and Riverhead District of Bay Roberts in 1889 and his eldest son William was 64 yrs old in 1889 then I believe he came directly from somewhere outside Newfoundland and was either married or got married when he arrived there and his son William to be born that year he arrived.

I would take it from this that he arrived in the Colony in 1825 from parts unknown.

Post subject: Re: Thomas Brown of Bay Roberts The Curzon village Browns ap
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:52 pm 

Len wrote:
I am still trying to identify where Thomas came from, through my DNA test on FAMILYTREE DNA it shows that I am related to BROWNS of CURZON VILLAGE. Also Browns in the Bonavista Bay area. It states in the Voters list of 1889 that Thomas Brown arrived in the colony and Distrivt of Riverhead 64 years ago which means he arrived about 1825 from parts unknown.
Would appreciate any help that anyone comes across during research.

The probate petition for the estate of Thomas Brown indicts he was drowned in January 1849. He left a widow and seven children: John (13), Thomas (11), Elizabeth (9), James (7), Mary Jane (5), Stephen (3), and Caroline (1). His estate was valued at 50 pounds.

In the 1889 Voters List for Bay Roberts it says the following;

Thomas Brown 64 years in Colony and District Riverhead
William Brown -Age 64 yrs
John Brown - Age 53 yrs
Thomas Brown - Age 51 yrs
Stephen Brown - Age 42 yrs

I would believe that since Thomas Brown drowned in Jan 1849 that reference to Thomas in the Voters List would be to identify his sons. Seeing that Thomas Brown was 64 years in the Colony and Riverhead District of Bay Roberts in 1889 and his eldest son William was 64 yrs old in 1889 then I believe he came directly from somewhere outside Newfoundland and was either married or got married when he arrived there and his son William to be born that year he arrived.

I would take it from this that he arrived in the Colony in 1825 from parts unknown.

Post subject: Re: Thomas Brown of Bay Roberts
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:20 am 

The Browns of Curzon Village were originally from Muddy Bay Labrador according to my records

Post Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:55 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Yes, I'm wondering where they came to Muddy Bay from? Any Ideas?
Thanks
Len

Post Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:55 am 

Sorry but I have no information but I would not be surprised if they came from Conception Bay Newfoundland
Last bumped by Len on Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:55 am.

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...