Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Connors/O'Connor
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:53 pm 

Connors (O’Connor)

I would be grateful for any and all assistance to find my true Connors family line! Apologies for such great detail, but I hope it will help distinguish from among many Connors families.
Here is what I know of my maternal grandfather’s Connors family line:

My great-grandfather, Stephen F Connors (a sailor/fisherman, birth year unknown) and Mary Cahill were married 11/1/1890 at the Roman Catholic Cathedral in St John’s. Witnesses were James Connors and Ellen Cahill.

My grandfather John Joseph Connors was born 2/20/1894 (happy 126th birthday today, Papa!) Stephen and Mary lived at 26 Pleasant Street. My grandfather was their only child.

Stephen, a sailor/fisherman sadly died from injuries at sea and was brought to hospital in St. John, NB where he was pronounced dead on 1/21/1897. As the ship’s crew knew little of his family, he was buried at St. John in the cemetery of a psychiatric hospital, far from home. The burial permit estimates his age at about 30, assuming a birth year of 1867.

Who were Stephen’s siblings?

The 1890 St. John’s Directory shows Stephen living at 47 Wickford Street with James
Connors (witness to his wedding later that year, and presumably a brother). Other than
Stephen and James, I have also found the following Connors individuals living at 47 Wickford at other times. Are these immediate family members as well?

• John Connors (Directories from 1890, 1898, 1904)
• Elizabeth Connors (1913 Directory)
• I have found a 1918 record for James (US Records of Aliens Pre-Examined in Canada)
showing his sister, “Mrs. William Cody” also living at 47 Wickford. I can find no records
(marriage or otherwise) showing her given name, but again, assume she is a Connors
sibling.

Who were Stephen’s parents?

1913 Records for 47 Wickford Street also show a Bridget, widow of John. (There is a record showing a Stephen Connors baptized at St. Mary’s on 5/1/1857. Is this my Stephen Connors?) This makes the burial permit age estimate almost ten years off.) Were Stephen’s parents Bridget and John? Were they born in NL or Ireland? Bridget’s maiden name was O’Rourke.

Many thanks in advance for any help you can lend.
Mary Louise Damiano

Post subject: Re: Connors/O'Connor
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:39 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

John Connors, a native of St. Mary's, St. Mary's Bay, aged 84 years, died at 47 Wickford St. on 29 July 1908 and was buried in Belvedere Cemetery. He left a wife, one son, and two daughters.

A notice in the Evening Telegram on 16 February 1897 states that John, widowed son of William and Mary Cahill of St. Mary's died on 7 February. He was a relative of Mrs. Stephen Connors whose husband was recently killed on the S.S. Cobas.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:12 pm 

I can't thank you enough for your response.

This information brings many things into focus. I have to believe that John and Bridget were Stephen's parents; the death notice would seem to indicate that James was the surviving son, with Elizabeth and the mysterious "Mrs. Cody" (Coady?) being the two daughters. However, I'm not able to find a John Connors in the transcribed records of Belvedere Cemetery on either this site or Find A Grave with a 1908 death date.

My great grandmother Connors did in fact have a brother named John, son of William and Mary Cahill, who was my great-great uncle. The mention of the ship name is valuable information that I hope will lead me in other directions.

With sincere thanks--
Mary Louise Damiano

Post Posted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:10 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Many years ago I mapped Belvedere Cemetery and indexed the known graves. There are a great many people buried there without headstones. The burial register records a Bridget Connors dying of cancer at Wickford Street on 13 May 1914, aged 79 years.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:04 am 

Thank you for the clarification and detail on Bridget. If neither she or John have headstones, I'd imagine their station in life was very humble.

I hope to travel to Newfoundland in the next year or so to do more research and walk the path of my ancestors.

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...