Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: advise needed
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:26 pm 

Hi, I wonder if any body could advise me on my topic. I am searching for a death record of a Sophia Andrews, born 1869, in Heart's Desire, NL, Canada. I have narrowed the date of her death to between 1895 and 1903. I have checked the NGB records, but could not find it, even though the correct years were covered. I have also checked the local church records, but the death records do not cover that time period.
Where else should I check before I start incurring costs through the government vital statistics department? thanks to any help with this.

Post subject: Re: advise needed
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:21 am 

Greetings,

I do not know where to look next for Sophia's date of death, but I can narrow down the years to be searched. I located a delayed birth record for Aaron and Sophia's daughter Clara on Family Search. In an affidavit for Clara's date of birth (18 June 1895, Heart's Desire), her aunt Mrs. Isabell Andrews states that "I adopted her from the death of her mother, she was then 14 months old and she lived with me until she was 4 1/2 years old, after then she lived with her father who was again married and lived with him until she became of age and married to John Howell of New Perlican." This puts Sophia's death around August/September 1896. In addition, Clara was christened in the United, then Methodist Church in Heart's Delight. I hope this information helps in furthering your research.

Yours in genealogy,
Mark

Post subject: Re: advise needed
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:20 am 

Hi. You have a good chance of finding the data on Family Search at familysearch.org
This is a site operated by the Mormons out of Utah, USA. They have billions of records, world wide. Civil registration of births, marriages and deaths started in Newfoundland in 1891. Family Search has photo copies of those government records starting in 1891, and in the case of deaths goes up to the late 1940s.
You will have to join the site but it is free and there is no advertising.
(Apparently the Mormons has something in their religion that compels them to find all their ancestors. They have a full team of people engaged daily in finding those names and posting the data to the site)
When searching the records you will have to key approximate dates so use a good spread of say 10 years of the expected date.

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...