Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: George Venables - St. Johns NF - DOB abt 1847
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:54 am 

I am looking for information on my wife's g-grandfather, George Venables. According to the family bible, George was born to Richard and Elizabeth (Fletcher) Venables on 4 Oct 1847 in St. Johns, Newfoundland (although some information indicates it may have been in Oct 1848).

I have seen a several listings for a George VENABLES on the GB website; however, they show that George Venables' parents as the son of John & Mary Venables, and they give a DOB of 1842. I don't know if that means there are mistakes in the family bible or if there is more than one George Venables living in NF around that time.

We have no knowledge of his activities/whereabouts during his early years, but we presume he remained in/near St. Johns until he emigrated to the U.S., via the Port of Detroit, in 1868 (given as 1858 in some accounts).

All of our records indicate that he was a blacksmith and a miner most of his early life.

Our understanding is that his father, Richard Venables, was born in England and this mother, Elizabeth (Fletcher) Venables was born in Ireland, but I have no specific knowledge of their place/date of birth or Immigration to Canada. I don't know their church practices were in Canada for sure, but the Venables family has been Catholic as far back as I have I found in US records, including George who married Ellen Dee in the Catholic "Cathedral of The Sacred Heart," in Duluth Minnesota in 1872. George passed away in 1928 in Boulder Colorado.

Any information or advice that could help me find more details about George and this family would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Jerry Sehlke
Idaho Falls, Idaho, USA

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...