Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Looking for Mystery Grandfather
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:04 pm 

sorry guys...wondering if I will get some more views maybe someone knows something or rather someone...i hope
anyhows my biological great great grandfather is a mystery man....all i know is his name is Edward Russell and resided in Catalina. He was married to Jemima Stickley (I have her family side info) but I keep coming up stumped with Edward...I thought I had a break with Eli Frances Russell assuming this was his father....but after much research....there is no trace of an Edward anywhere :( ...I've spent so much time scouring the internet and sitting in the "Rooms" in St. John's.

My great grandfather was put up for adoption....I know his mother Jemima passed on when she was in her early 30's. and Edward remarried. All their children were broken up and put into different random homes. The reason I am so desperate in searching is my grandmother is ailing and I don't know how much longer she has and she has never met any of the Russell's and have no idea where her roots lie.

Thanks again for listening! :)

Post subject: Re: Looking for Mystery Grandfather
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:35 pm 

Hi,

The majority of Russells in Newfoundland originate from the Bay Roberts/Harbour Grace area and Edward is a common name in the Russell family. Can you give dates for birth/deaths of Edward and George? Do you have the names of children for your Edward or George? Have you searched this site using Google for Russell and/or Edward Russell or George Russell?

Also, there is a Russell family associated with Moreton's Harbour, Notre Dame Bay, but given the information you supplied, your Edward does not seem to fit.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:51 pm 

Hi Daisy,
Thank you for your reply, I think I have found him and dates... Appearently his name was Edmund George Russell....and Edward in those times were exchanged for Edmund...so thats where I was getting confused. I contacted Bonavista Archives and they helped me a tremendous amount. But I know no more of their children as they were all put up for adoption

Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 2:35 am 

I am also looking for an Edward Russell from Bay Roberts. He was born 1857 and died in St John's. He married Mary Coombs.
I can't find any further information on him and don't know where to start. I can't go to NFLD to do research either.

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...