Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Desperate for help! MACKEY/MEANEY (also, BURKE/SCOTT/JAMES
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:37 pm 

Hi there! So i’m literally desperate for any information anyone may be able to provide me with…

I started this project over my school winter break and, not surprising if you know me, I became consumed by it. However, all I've hit are roadblocks and dead ends. I’m hoping someone here may know something that may provide even the tiniest of threads for me to pull on. I'm back in school and I graduate from my nursing program this May and need to be focused less on this...I just want to feel like I came out with something more than I entered this with so I can just put a pin in it until after graduation.

Here is what I know is fact:

My great grandfather was:
Richard F. MACKEY
b. 19 July 1984 in Harbor Grace, Newfoundland
Immigrated to Boston, Ma abt 1810
d. 14 Mar 1970 in Tewksbury, Ma (age 84)

In 1919, he married my great grandmother in Medford Massachusetts:
Elizabeth (“Bessie”) MEANEY
b. 3 Jun 1896 in (potentially avondale) Newfoundland
Immigrated to Boston, Ma sometime before 1919
d. 27 Oct 1986 in Massachusetts (Age 90)

They had 9 children from 1920 to 1938. As they were all born and died in the Boston area (or, at least no where near Canada) I won’t list them all for the sake of brevity; however, all their vitals/stats can be provided if anyone feels it may help. The youngest of these children, Lorraine Frances MACKEY (1938-2017) was my grandmother.

And then things just get murky.

I tried to piece things together using ancestry.com but ended up in a tangled mess. According to ancestory.com member family trees, I can trace my lineage back to the 1600s. The problem is that none of these trees have much in the way of sources or records (and I looked at a lot of them). Mostly, they are just sharing the same member created trees over and over and I’d prefer to have a bit more to go off of before committing to a possible ancestor. Unfortunately, I’ve researched from every angle and have come up with very little.

Below is my lineage, according to an amalgamation of these member family trees. If you know anything about any of these people that may help me either establish a connection or confirm that there is not one, I would be forever in your debt.

William BURKE: b. 1809 in Brigus, d. 1891 in Brigus
m. Jane SCOTT: b. 1811 in Bay Bulls, d. 1907 in Brigus

Their Child:
Sarah BURKE: b. 1836 in Brigus, d. 1924 in Brigus
m. Thomas JAMES (pot. JANES) (1835-1924)

Their Children:
Edmund JANES
Thomas JANES (1870-
Elizabeth JANES: b. 1861 in Brigus
m. Michael L MEANEY: b. 1857 in Avondale, d. 1918 in Avondale

Their child was Elizabeth Frances MEANEY, my great-grandmother, who is at the start of my known tree.

Thank you for reading all this!

Post subject: Re: Desperate for help! MACKEY/MEANEY (also, BURKE/SCOTT/JA
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:57 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

The Mackey and Burke families have been well researched. The late James Fleming of Seattle wrote a history of the Mackey family in the 1990s. The late Jack Burke of Valley Stream, NY, wrote a history of the Burke family in 1999.

I have a newspaper article published in the Evening Telegram which discusses Mr. Burke’s research. Three Burke brothers fled Cork, Ireland during the 1798 Rebellion. Edmund Burke had a son William Burke who married Jane Scott, the daughter of Philip Scott of Tintern, Co. Wexford, and Sarah Mulcahy.

Edmund Burke died 8 May 1848 at Brigus. His wife Sarah predeceased him. He was survived by his sons James, Edmund, and William; and grandsons Edmund, James, William, Philip and Patrick Burke.

In the Brigus Roman Catholic Cemetery, Thomas James and his wife Sarah Burke are buried next to Elizabeth Burke who died 9 July 1901, aged 30 years, of tuberculosis. Thomas James died 5 September 1911; aged 78 years.

I don’t know much about the James family. Stephen James and John James drowned while fishing in Labrador on 29 July 1886. Both men were married men with children.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:38 pm 

You just made my day.

I have found most of the names/stats of the people you listed myself but there were some gaps that tied these people to the actual people I'm looking for and you just helped me a bunch! There are so many people with similar names, dates, etc...sometimes its overwhelming and you just need someone to confirm one thing to refocus your search.

Also, I was unaware of the works of both Mr. Fleming and Mr. Burke's writings/research and I'm going to go look at that right now.

Is the newspaper article you mentioned archived online?

Again, Thank you so much!!

Post Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:26 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

I have been looking online for the newspaper article but it has not been scanned. Sorry!

Post Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:52 am 

No problem- not your fault and I appreciate you looking!

Is there any chance you could tell me the titles of the two works you are referring to (by Burke and by Fleming)?

I’m mostly trying to track down some further info about Jane Scott and/or Sarah James...and it hasn’t be easy, especially as I’m no where near Newfoundland. So any potential leads rn are a win.

Thanks!

Post Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:47 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Jim Fleming came to my house a few times copy some of my notes for his book. I am not sure of the title of his book. The article regarding Jack Burke's book states that it was 251 pages and illustrated, however it does not state the title of the book!

You might try to obtain a copy of the book written by the late John N. Leamon called "Brigus: Past Glory, Present Splendour" (1998). On page 391 he mentions "John James" on the voter's list at Brigus in 1832.

There still members of the James family living in the Brigus-Cupids area and you may wish to contact them.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:56 pm 

Hi. I don't know if you've tried here https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/location/1929955?region=Newfoundland%20and%20Labrador. There are a lot of original books to look through but only some are indexed. Time consuming because of mis-spellings in the original ledgers. Good Luck.

shawn

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...