Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Looking for Information on John Wills Martin - St. Marys Bay
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:42 pm 

I am following a lead I was given on John Wills Martin Esq.

He was an English-born merchant and political figure in Newfoundland. He represented Placentia and St. Mary's in the Newfoundland and Labrador House of Assembly from 1832 to 1836.
On April 1, 1827 he Married Phoebe Cooper, Trinity.

He remarried again on Jan 24th, 1839 to Martha Eliza Hayward Taylor, he father was Richard Hayward Taylor from Carbonear.

Found a Newspaper Article that stated they had a Son in Jan 1840, John who died by Aug. 1840. This son, was listed as his only son.

They moved back to Poole around 1843-44.

I know about the history of him and Father Duffy, but what I cannot seem to find is records of his marriage to Phoebe Cooper, did they have children?
What happened to Phoebe Cooper?
There is a Bio page on him & that is where I got the information about Phoebe Cooper, but the footnotes are not leading me to where this writer got that particular piece of information.

I have searched this site, I have search Ancestry, Google Archives Newspapers, The Rooms, Myheritage, Familysearch, but I am coming up empty handed.

I am told that this man was my Great Great Great Grandfather & apparently when my Great Uncle asked about our family the response was "What do you want to know that old stuff for.. let it go"
I can't! :)

Thank you

Post subject: Re: Looking for Information on John Wills Martin - St. Marys
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:35 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Some of the online assertions pertaining to John Wills Martin, including some of those in the compositions 'Wikipedia' and 'Dictionary of Canadian Biography Online' are wrong.

There was a John Martin, Agent, at Twillingate during the early to mid 1800s. His household is included in the 1836 census at Twillingate. He married Phoebe Cooper, daughter of John Cooper, on April 1, 1827 at Twillingate. Records suggest they had children born at Twillingate. Phoebe Cooper-Martin died in 1847.

And, there was another man, John Wills Martin, at St. Mary's and Carbonear during the 1820s-1840s period. He married Martha Eliza Taylor, daughter of Richard Hayward Taylor, on January 24, 1839 at Carbonear. They had several children born in the 1840s in Dorset, England.

I have records that confirm the marriages of John Martin and Phoebe Cooper, and John Wills Martin and Martha Eliza Taylor; records that support children being born in both families; and records that confirm the deaths of the aforementioned persons.

Post subject: Re: Looking for Information on John Wills Martin - St. Marys
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:02 pm 

Hi Thank you.. I suspected that the information for John and John Wills was incorrect because nothing I found was matching.
I believe I may be related to the John & Phoebe side not John Wills.
Your response has given me a huge break in the wall I hit on this, thank you.

You said John and Phoebe had children, do you know their names?

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...