Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Barrows - Gambo
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:06 pm 

Hello.. so I am researching my Moms side of the family and hit a pretty big brick wall.

I am researching the Barrows (sometimes called Barry, but not all Barry's are Barrows :D )

The Barrows is considered a "rare" name for Newfoundland. I know they were in Greenspond & Gambo.
There are some history records out there talking about how they were with the Pritchetts. There is a story that explains where the Pritchett's came from but does not clearly state the Barrows came with them from England or came to Greenspond with them from Labrador.

I get back as far as Edward Barrow B. 1755 married to Sarah Johnson 1781.

Edward's sons were Benjamin (wife ??) Edward (Francis Crocker) Joseph Barrow (wife ??); John Barrow (Sarah Hunt (George Hunt & Jane Paul) of Freshwater)

John & Sarah's Children were George Barrow (Jane Feltham (William Feltham & Sarah Knee, Pools Island)); Edward Barrow (Elizabeth Joe(micmac)Gambo) Ruth Barrow (John Pritchett) and John Barrow (wife??)

I am a descendant of George & Jane.
I am trying to find information on Edward Barrow (1755) & Sarah Johnson (1781) I believe they may have lived in Dolloman's Point, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada

The Barrows are mostly found in around Gambo & Middlebrook.. later my Grandfather was in DeerLake
They were Lumbermen, worked in the mills, in the woods..etc..

I have looked in all the usual places, but it is like the Barrow's just magically appeared in Newfoundland, I am unable to trace them to any passenger records, travels, nothing
Sometimes their last names were misspelled as "Barry"; "Barre" "Borrow"
But not to be confused with the Surname Barry of Newfoundland (which there are a lot of)

Any help at all would be amazing :)

Thank you

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...