Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Mark Ambrey Dean
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:25 am 

My great grandfather was Mark Ambrey Dean born September 30, 1873 or 1875 depending on the document. Both parents from Newfoundland and only parent known is George Dean, who is listed as father on Marks death certificate. I believe he worked on boats as crew as I have found documents to support that. I have found a George Dean in records on this site but do not believe him to be the George I’m looking for because he and his wife Emily had another child in 1873 and then no record of a child in 1875 (if I’m looking at both birth years). I don’t know where in Newfoundland I should be looking for him and am just stumped!

Anybody have any ideas? Anybody heard of this family? Mark Ambrey Dean is the only full name I know!

Thanks for any input that can be offered!

Christina

Post subject: Re: Mark Ambrey Dean
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:16 pm 

Hi Christina:
I checked Ancestry and Mark Ambrey Dean's US Naturalization Record states that he was born on Sept. 30, 1873 in Carbonear (spelled incorrectly on that document).
The following document: U.S., Applications for Seaman's Protection Certificate, is more revealing. It states that he was born on Sept. 30, 1875, on the Atlantic Ocean, i.e. at sea possibly. Also, it states that his father's name is George, and that George is from Newfoundland.
You have probably already seen these documents.

But have a look at the following record (Under Vital Statistics) in the Carbonear Methodist Births and Baptisms from 1864-1868

[Born] Sept 18, 1864 [at] Crocker's Cove [near Carbonear] [to] DEAN, George & Ann [child]: MARK EMBERLEY M[ale] [Baptized by] Rev. J. Winterbotham [on] Jany 29, 1865 [Father's occupation]: Fisherman

Everything is more or less correct except for the date which is about 10 years earlier than expected.

Also, in the 1901 Census, Yale & Caribou, British Columbia, there is also a Mark Dean, born Newfoundland on Sept. 30 1868, single & working as a waiter.

I think this is your man. He just thought he was 6-10 years younger than he really was! Not unusual in Nfld. in the 19th century where many could not read or write. And the parents are not George & Emily but George & Ann. It's possible that George is the same person and that Emily Best was his second wife (m. Dec 25 1867).
There are no other children born to George Dean before 1864 and until July 1871.
This site does not contain all B/M/Ds or Vital Stats. There are still records at the Prov. Archives which have not been transcribed & added to this site.
Hope this helps! Kim

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...