Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Cox family of Gaultois
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:27 am 

My 2x great Grandfather, Henry John Moore b1844, sailed from Dorset to NFL c1868. He married Maria Cox b1846 at Hermitage Church of England on 22-7-1869. Henry was from Manston in Dorset and Maria was from Gaultois. They returned to England for a few years before returning to the cod fishing business and 2 sons were born in Gaultois in 1876 and 1878. By 1881, the family had settled back in Dorset where they remained.

I'm struggling to find out anything about Maria Cox and her family. On the English census' she says she was born in NFL and was a British Subject. My Dad recently had his DNA tested and he is 6% NFL, so I assume somewhere along the line a 'native' of NFL was part of our family which makes me wonder if the Cox line had been in NFL for sometime. I can't seem to find many records from my end here in England and would like to know where to look. Part of the reason, I think, is because I'm not sure what region Gaultois and Hermitage come under as websites aren't overly clear. Or perhaps someone can point me in the direction of a family history group/centre which I can contact for help.

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...