Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: William Moore and Mary Walsh - seeking information on my gre
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:58 pm 

Hi,

My great greats William Moore (1829-1916) and Mary Walsh (1842-1929) were married, raised a family (children Thomas, William, Ellen Francis ("Nellie"), Hannah ("Annie") and Patrick), and died in the Holyrood/Carbonear areas. We're not sure if they were born in Newfoundland or not, and beyond some handwritten notes with names and dates, we know next to nothing about them, including parentage. If anyone can offer any more information on them, I'd appreciate it very much.

Thanks
Liz

Post subject: Re: William Moore and Mary Walsh - seeking information on my
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:15 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

The Moore family resided at Harbour Main in the 1700s and the Walsh family resided at Chapels Cove in the 1700s. William Moore and Mary Walsh married in 1867. He was living in Holyrood and Mary was living in Chapels Cove at the time of their marriage. They also had a daughter Mary Ann born in 1872.

You may be able to trace the family back a few generations using the Registry of Deeds.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:02 pm 

Thank you so much for the information! Could you give me any guidance on search the Registry of Deeds? I'll be visiting St Johns and surrounding areas next month (I'm American and live in the Washington DC area) and could do so in person if that is necessary.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:51 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

The Registry of Deeds is located on Elizabeth Ave., St. John's. After 1826 the records are divided into three districts - Southern, Northern, and Central. The indexes are typed and provide the volume and page number. The deeds are bound into books and everything is in one room. I find that using a clip board helps as I rarely sit down. You may wish to search the surnames of the individuals who served as Godparents who were likely relatives.

Prior to 1826, the records have a separate index and the volumes are large, heavy, and handwritten. If you are a member of the Family History Society of Newfoundland and Labrador (FHSNL) the early deeds and index are online. This collection contains not only deeds but also marruiage contracts, wills, and occasionally a birth record. There are some records which date back to the 1740s.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:12 pm 

Thank you again - I'll start planning a visit to the registry office while I'm in town

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...