Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Alice Foley . Born about 1875 . Marriage (James White) 1901
 Post Posted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:15 pm 

I am seeking further information on my great-grandmother Alice Foley (see below). Any and all family history for Alice that you may be aware of, or can direct me to, would be appreciated. Of course any direction you can provide on James, Peter or Eliza White would also be welcome. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Alice Foley (Birth 1875) (Married at 26 years old)
+
Marriage:
To: James White (Birth 1873) (Married at 28 years old)
Date: October 31 1901
Witnesses: Peter White & Eliza White
+
Notes:
1. Both Alice and James are listed as residents of St. Brendan's at time of Marriage but further information on their actual individual origins/places of birth would be greatly appreciated.
2. Alice Foley may have been born in Ireland (see Note 3 below).
3. FamilySearch suggests an Alice Foley born 30 Dec 1875 at Kilmakevoge, Kilkenny, Ireland. A Foley family tree that features this Alice Foley is posted on the site.

Post subject: Re: Alice Foley . Born about 1875 . Marriage (James White) 1
 Post Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:05 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

I have little faith in most information found on Ancestry.com. There a numerous websites which provide better information for free. The wedding announcement for this couple featured in the Evening Telegram newspaper states that James White was from St. Brendan's and Alice Foley was from St. Bride's, Placentia Bay.

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2020 4:06 pm 

Lovell's Province of Newfoundland Directory for 1871 lists three Foley families in Distress (now known as St. Bride's). Daniel, Martin and Patrick Foley are listed as heads of these three households. Bearing in mind that my great-grandmother Alice Foley was born about 1875, it is likely that one of these three men is Alice's father; but, which one? Referencing various sources available online I have not yet answered this question. No doubt my online searches have improved but any further information or direction you can provide would be appreciated. It could be that I'll have to explore paper documents at The Rooms Archive.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:29 am 

there is an Alice Foley bapt Dec 23 1874 in St. Bride's, parents Patrick Foley and Honorah Keane, witnesses Michael and Rose Foley

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...