Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Finding My Granddads Grave
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:03 pm 

Hi! I am looking for the grave of my Granddad. His name is Francis John Anderson and is believed to be buried in St Anthony Newfoundland.
The ship he was on board "The S.S Langleecrag" that sailed from Hull/Yorkshire England and is still on the rocks where it ran aground on Great Sacred Island in 1947!
My Granddad was asked to swim ashore to get help but drowned alongside William Cammish Colling.
My Mum has been told since she was born that her Dad was lost at sea but now we understand that his body was found two weeks after the event by a Mr Henry Coates of Cooks Island (who has offspring Mr Andrew Coates) and reported in the local paper the Western Star.
Francis John Anderson was only 21 and his wife was expectant with my Mum when he drowned.
The captain of the Langleecrag was prosecuted for his death.
My Mum has had a lifetime of thinking her Dad was lost at sea so it would be great if we could find his grave to pay our respects

John Harrison

Post subject: Re: Finding My Granddads Grave
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:20 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Francis Anderson's name does not appear in the vital statistics death register. I would contact the provincial archives at The Rooms and ask them to search the Anglican burial register for St. Anthony for a reference to him. There also could be a reference to the burial in the Grenfell papers.

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...