Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Branton or Austin families
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:01 am 

Am looking for information/ family on William branton of hants harbour and his and his wife Louisa Austin of Brownsdale .....thank you....

Post subject: Re: Branton or Austin families
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:14 am 

Hi Tina,

Your William N Branton was born about August 1908, the son of Newman Branton and wife Roxanna (one record states she is forename Roseannah but the majority of records name her as Roxanna.) He was still living with his family in the 1921 census, but by the 1935 census was living next door to his parents with wife Louisa. You’ll find the census records on this NGB site, and lists siblings as well.

William’s father Newman Branton was baptized April 27, 1864 in Scilly Cove at 6 weeks old — the son of John Branton, who I believe was born about 1823.

There is no birth record for John Branton that I’ve seen, but circumstantially he would be the son of Gideon Branton and his wife Elizabeth Green (daughter of Wm and Joan Green.) They married on November 7, 1820 with the record stating he was from Yeovilton, Somerset, England. I suspect that he was the original Branton in Trinity Bay, and that the Branton children born in the 1820’s/1830’s (such as your John born 1823, who actually did name a son Gideon) would have to have been their children.

When searching, also check alternate spellings as Branton surname was corrupted in some cases to Bantum and Bantom.

Carol

Post Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:27 am 

Thank you so much Carol...alot of information about my family I didn't have..... William and Louisa (she died in 1938) had a son in 1936 they named George Newman Branton or Newman George Branton (he was my father...he died in 2012.) I am hearing William and Louisa had a second child in 1938, but have found no record of that.... I do know William was married again according to the 1945 census to Maud (last name unknown at this point).. cannot find any census records after 1945 so am wondering if they had a child...

Post Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:59 am 

Hi Tina,

The records for your family are likely at the Provinical Archives in St John’s. Do you know where your father was residing in 1945? If you could find him, perhaps you might find another sibling. It appears he is not recorded in the census with his father.

I am not sure what information you have collected for Louisa Austin at the point, however if you review the 1921 census for Brownsdale on this site, you’ll see her born July 1909 in Brownsdale and residing with parents George and Magdalene, and several siblings. Interesting, perhaps she was a twin...there is a brother Archibald also listed with birth information indicating he was also born July 1909.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:15 pm 

Carol: I've been told that we go back to Gideon and Elizabeth (Green) BANTON as well. Have you found an Ishmael BRANTON in your searches tracing back to Gideon BANTON? Thanks

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:01 pm 

Hi Tina, I have seen records for Ishamel Branton born about 1857 but nothing on parentage. Given his vintage I would assume he is a grandson of Gideon Branton, but I have no info on this.

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...