Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Who was "SEA CAPTAIN LUCAS", father of MARY ANN LUCAS?
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:23 pm 

I have traced my 3 x great grandparents to Robert Joseph Alsop (1814-1871) and Ellen Whiten (married 11 June 1851) witnessed by "Mary Ann Whitten” in the ​St. John the Baptist RC Church.
After the death of Robert Joseph Alsop in 1871, his second wife, Mary Ann Lucas “daughter of sea captain Lucas”, decided to move back to Ireland, taking her young son (Robert, who was 9 or 10) and step daughter Mary Ellen Alsop (about 14 or 15). Mary Ellen’s mother, Ellen Whitten, died in 1863 at the age of 34. I am trying to identify “sea captain Lucas”. Two baptism entries for James & Ann Lucas’s children (Jacob Robert b. Nov 14 1857, and Zillah b. May 6 1859), show that James was a “master mariner” and married Ann MERCER in 1848. I am assuming that James Lucas (married in 1848) was Mary Ann Lucas’s brother. If she was married in 1863 or 64, she would have been between 20 and 30 years old, making her born sometime between 1832 or 1842. Any knowledge of this would be much appreciated. If I can find out who sea captain Lucas was, I am hoping to find out why Mary Ann Lucas moved back to Ireland, with my 3 x great grandmother, Mary Ellen.

Post subject: Re: Who was "SEA CAPTAIN LUCAS", father of MARY ANN LUCAS?
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:44 pm 

ok. came across a newspaper article that said At the R.C. Chapel Berkley Rd,Dublin October 9th 1878 Patrick Kelley married Mary Ellen Alsop daugter of Robert Alsop of Newfoundland.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:25 pm 

Thanks Doug Bishop. We had estimated "Nov 1878" for the wedding of our great grandparents. I will see if I can find the newspaper article making the announcement (I assume it will be a Newfoundland paper?): "At the R.C. Chapel Berkley Rd,Dublin October 9th 1878 Patrick Kelley married Mary Ellen Alsop daugter of Robert Alsop of Newfoundland"

Post Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:55 pm 

I found an entry in rootsweb.com for the Harbor Grace Standard & Conception Bay Advertiser, 23 Nov 1878: "At the R.C. Chapel, Berkley Road, Dublin, on the 9th Oct., by the Rev. Francis Ryan, C.C., P. KELLEY, Esq., H.M. Civil Service, (Inland Revenue Department,) to Mary Ellen, daughter of the late Hon'ble Robert ALSOP, of St. John's, Nfld." http://sites.rootsweb.com/~cannf/cbnort ... d_1878.htm

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...