Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Searching for Daly’s who emigrated from St John area to Newb
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:36 am 

Need help! I have been able to track back to my 2nd great grandfather John Daly (1834 - 1890), but am at a roadblock. I can document that John was married 3 times in Newburyport and had multiple children. John’s parents were listed in one doc as John and Johanna, but in other documents father’s name found as Enoch and Dennis, so I have no certainty about the name of my 3d great. I do know my 2d great was lister as a mariner, and most likelihood a fisherman, as This area in MA well known for fishing. Fair certainty that family was Catholic, as there was a serious uproar when John’s son Charles married a French Catholic girl. Family stories indicate the Daley’s arrived in Newfoundland from county Cork. John’s mother believed to have been a Joanna Conway, who married Peter Dodd after John’s father passed. Can anyone help

Post subject: Re: Searching for Daly’s who emigrated from St John area to
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:08 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Joanna Conway Dodd (c1808-1854) married Peter Dodd on 12 November 1842 at St. John's. She arrived in Massachusetts on the Brig Mayflower, 8 December 1843. John Daley (1834-1890) married Mary McDonnell (c1834-1856) of Harbour Grace on 30 August 1852 at Newburyport, and then Mary Ann Lynch (1838-1882) of St. John's at Newburyport on 6 January 1857. His third wife was Bridget Tolan, the widow of Daniel Lynch (1844-1879) of St. John's, married 14 July 1883 at Newburyport.

Michael Daley (c1824-) marrieded Margaret Fennelly on 10 November 1849 at Newburyport. I think Margaret arrived in Massachusetts with the Dodd family on the Brig Mayflower.
Thomas Daley (1845-1927) wed Joanna Hanrahan (c1845-1902) on 18 June 1864 at Newburyport. Almost all of the Newfoundlanders in Newburyport shared kinship ties prior to moving to the US circa 1840-1870. Some of them later moved to Gloucester and Thomas Conway moved to Brooklyn, NY.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:52 am 

Curious if you were working on this in the late 1980’s. I received a letter from an Edward back then, with this information. Have you been able to locate anything more to clarify the name of John’ father, and whether same was born in Newfoundland or in Ireland.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:23 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

I have been researching the Newfoundland-Newburyport community since 1979. This winter I worked on the marriage records. I have not done research on the Daley family in quite a while.

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...