Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: William Alexander Guzwell (1882-1931) and Mary (Jane) Joesph
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:39 am 

Hi everyone.

I am looking for information on my grandmother's mother Mary Jane Josephina Dooley. All we know is that she died during childbirth on my grandmother Lillian Reardon (nee Guzwell). Now Guzwell has come up with different spellings such as Guzzwell, Guswell, Gullwell, etc.

William Alexander Guzwell (1882-1931) and Mary (Jane) Joesphina Dooley (1879-1917) married May 22, 1907 at St. Patrick's in St. Johns.

Supposed children (because I cannot find any birth records-some birth dates are based off death dates) include:
Frederick Joseph Guzzwell (1908-1976)
Marion Guzwell (1909-1996)
Edith Hilda Guzwell (1910-1993)
William G Guzzwell (1911- )
Bernard Joseph Guzzwell (1913-1914)
Florence E Guzwell (1915-2009)

Then Mary Jane Josephina Dooley died in childbirth in 1917 which was supposedly with my grandmother Lillian Guzwell (1918 - 1991), yet Lillian's birthday (or what she was told) was in 1918.

Anyway, after Mary Jane Josephina Dooley passed, family members took the children in.
In the 1921 city census, Lillian was adopted by the Dooley family (John & Bridget) at 3 years old.

In 1920, William re-married Margaret Lundrigan Bambrick and they lived together on Bambrick Street is St. John's. Margaret had children herself from a previous marriage and 4 Guzwell children lived with them, which include:
Frederick Guzwell (son)1 1907 -14 yo
Marion Guzwell (daughter) 1909 -12 yo
William Guzwell (son) 1914 -7yo
Florence Guzwell (daughter) 1915 -6yo

Edith Guzwell (niece) 1910 -11 yo was living with the Parmiter Family (Ada - widowed) and children.

Then in 1931, when William their father passed, Marion, William and Florence moved in with the Knight family (Frederick & Emily)

My grandmother's obituary, which is in her married name, Lillian Reardon, lists 3 sisters, Florence, Edith and Marion. No mention of Guzwell, and one mention of a special sister-in-law Florence Dooley.

This is so confusing, especially when I am not sure if Mary Jane Josephina Dooley is her mother's name. Her death was recorded as Mrs. William Gullwell and she was married as Jane Dooley. I can't find anything else on her including birth or her parents.

AND...if my grandmother was born in 1917 when her mother died during childbirth, there is no record of Lillian the child.

If anyone has any information, it would be greatly appreciated as I have been searching a while on Mary Jane Josephina Dooley.

Thank you.

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...