Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Henry Anthony (1815- 1892) and Elizabeth Young (1823-1870)
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:08 pm 

I am looking for information on Henry Anthony and Elizabeth Young my GGG grandparents, who lived in Seldon Come By, Fogo. I have information about their children but have not been able to confirm their parents. I have an Alexander as a potential father for Henry but can't confirm that, and I don't have any information on his mother. I also have place of birth as either Seldon Come By or Harbour Grace.

Some sources that I have seen on Ancestry have Elizabeth Young's parents as John Young(e) and her mother as Anastasia Power. Some websites have said that her last name is Lejeune and she may have been Mi’kmaq, born in Nova Scotia. I recently had a DNA test that does not support an indigenous connection. Other sources suggest that she was born in Harbour Grace in 1823.

Thanks

Tracy

Post subject: Re: Henry Anthony (1815- 1892) and Elizabeth Young (1823-187
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:05 pm 

Hi Tracy
I have been doing research on many NDB families for a long time and I have never met anyone who truly knew the parents, or had any documentation, of the parents of either Henry or Elizabeth. Her maiden name is per oral tradition. It is said that Henry was related to the Anthony's of Conception Bay, and many other families of that area moved to the Fogo and Change Islands, and to other NDB communities. Henry was born around 1818 based on his age at death in 1892, while Elizabeth was born around 1823, based on her age at death in 1870 at Tilt Cove. There is no surviving marriage record for them.

I don't believe that there is any connection between Elizabeth and the West Coast Le Jeune mixed French and Mi'qmaw families. It is far more likely that Elizabeth came from the Twillingate Youngs, one of the earliest families in the area.

Jill Marshall
St. Johns

Post subject: Re: Henry Anthony (1815- 1892) and Elizabeth Young (1823-187
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:43 pm 

Thanks for the response Jill

I have not been able to find very much information about Henry or Elizabeth, only what is in other people's tree's on Ancestry.ca. I have my DNA result,s which supports that Elizabeth most likely came from the Twillingate Youngs, and not the West Coast Le Jeune's.

Regards

Tracy Boyde

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...