Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Indian Burying Place
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:21 am 

Hello,

I will be arriving in NFLD in July with my family and was hoping to travel to Indian Burying Place to visit the graves of my gggg grandparents John and Emma Adams. From the research that I've been able to complete, however, it doesn't appear that they're actually buried there? The cemetery listing on NGB completed by Jill Marshall and Paul Coombs suggests that only their son James Adams has a grave at the site. Would anyone know if John and Emma Adams may be resting in Nippers Harbour where many of my other descendants seem to be located.

Any help on this matter would be appreciated.

Regards,

Stephen Brake

Post subject: Re: Indian Burying Place
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:44 pm 

Hi Stephen
I am sure they are buried at Indian Burying Place, but if there were headstones for John and Emma they have not been located. It's possible none were put up. Or the headstones could be buried under regrowth, as often happens in untended (and even tended) cemeteries. The movement of IBP families to Nippers Harbour happened at a later time. The cemeteries at Nippers Hr were collected by the Family History Society many years ago, and there were no headstones there for John and Emma either.

Jill Marshall
St Johns

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:28 pm 

Hi Jill,

Thanks so much for your reply. The information that you have provided makes me that much more eager to travel to IBP. I've recently made contact with the Town Clerk of Nippers Harbour who has suggested that I might be able to get a local resident to take us out by boat when we arrive. From the research I've completed it appears that I have many relatives who are buried in Nippers Harbour so it will prove to be a very proud and interesting day.

On another note, would you have any idea how I might go about finding the grave of my GGG Grandmother, Elizabeth Harrison, who died on July 11, 1861 in St. John's. I can trace her burial record to St. John the Baptist Anglican Cathedral in St. John's but it doesn't appear a cemetery is located on site. There's reference to an Anglican cemetery at the corner of Kenmount Road and Pippy Place but on Google Maps it looks like a Canada Post Distribution Center?

Best regards,

Stephen Brake

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:57 pm 

Hi again....Elizabeth would have been buried at the Forest Road Anglican Cemetery, which I think opened up in the 1820s/1830s, the 2nd Ang Cemetery in St Johns. The oldest Ang cemetery in St Johns is downtown bordering Church Hill and Duckworth Street, and is the churchyard of the Anglican Cathedral of St John the Baptist which they say has 10's of thousands buried there, but only a handful of headstones survive there. The Kenmount Road Ang Cemetery is the 3rd and newest one, and not sure exactly but it opened up maybe in the 1980s or maybe 1970s.

However the Stonepics index (A collection of province wide cemetery transcriptions on some 80 CDs, which the Provincial Archives has purchased from the collector Kimsey fowler) and which includes Forest Rd Ang Cemetery, does not list a headstone for Elizabeth Harrison. The cemetery did not begin keeping a register of plot numbers until 1919 !

As I transcribed the Ang Cathedral burial records that you found online, I can tell you there are no plot numbers associated with those burials. All the information that was in each burial I transcribed in full
By the way John and Emma are my GGGG grand parents also. I descend from their son James thru his daughter Matilda Adams (married Isaac Winsor of Tilt Cove).

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:59 pm 

Wow....I can't believe that once you break the surface of this stuff its absolutely baffling. So we're actually related!!!!!!!!

I will be sure to pay a visit to the Forest Road Anglican Cemetery while I'm in Town.

My sincere appreciation goes out to you Jill for this information.

All the best.

Stephen Brake

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:12 pm 

Hi Stephen,
About ten years ago myself and my wife, Lynn, visited Indian Burying Place in our little boat the 'Lady L'. We are from Western Nfld (Gillams) but I have an interest in IBP because I am related to the Rideouts (Ridouts) of Rogues Hr, Tilt Cove and IBP (my grandmother was a Rideout). It is truly a fascinating place if you haven't been there!! There is a hand built road (wide enough for horse carts) between IBP and Bobby Cove. Stay away from the stinger nettles near the beach as Bobby Cove. Mean little beggars. As I recall, there are several cemeteries and the one on the road (overgrown trail) to Bobby Cove is really neat because the headstones are in amongst the trees. One of the houses at IBP is kept up and unlocked (at least it was 10 years or so ago) and you can sign a guest book for the family and I'm sure stay if you are stuck. I can't remember the family name but it may have been Adams. I only hope that you enjoy your time there as much as we did if you can get there!
Good Luck
Greg Mitchell

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:12 pm 

Hi Greg,

Thanks for providing your reflections about IBP. From the pictures that I've seen on-line it's hard to believe that the origins of my family once lived there. I'm so excited to try and get out for a visit. Hopefully the weather co-operates and we can get a local to take us.

I'm quite familiar with Gillams! The "Brake" side of my family tree is from Meadows the community next door. Although most of my immediate family is no longer there I still have a couple of very close cousins, Byron and Craig, who remain. I also have a great Aunt, Vida Hann, who once lived in Gillams but from what I understand is now in the Seniors home in Irish Town.

Small world.....

Regards,

Stephen Brake

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:15 am 

The house that was being maintained (rented by mining exploration teams) belonged to the Stoodleys, but I was told a couple of years ago that vandals had gotten inside and done some damage. I don't know how much though. I went to IBP in 1990 and 1992, and back then there was still a functioning outhouse, with toilet paper included ! I did not get down to Bobbys Cove.

Jill M

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...