Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Searching for Brouster/ Browster, Summers, Watton and Hooper
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:23 pm 

I am trying to trace a member/ s of my family tree that family history says left Britain for Newfoundland/ Grand Banks and became fishermen. They lived in the county of Dorset, Poole town in particular. I was told they left via Bristol once their time in the navy was completed. This would most likely have been early 19th century.

I have found that my 3rd Great Grandfather William Summers (1781-1822) was in the British Navy and was presumably stationed in the Quebec area. In December 1803 he married a Martha Brouster/ Brewster or Browster in St Andrews Church in Quebec. Martha’s family appear to have been located in Sorel, midway between Quebec and Montreal. The next record I have is 1815 when William & Martha had a daughter, also Martha, born in Poole Dorset UK. Family documents say that the couple already had a son, William, who would have been born 1804/ 5. Later children were Robert Ash Summers and lastly Mary Brouster Summers.
I can find no records for William & Martha from the time of marriage until 1815, when they lived in Poole, Dorset UK.

I am now wondering if this William might be the family member in NF/ GB. If so then it is likely he was left behind when the parents moved to Britain. Hence no British records.

I would appreciate any information on family names Brouster/ Browster, Summers, Hooper and Watton. The latter three are UK Dorset and Hampshire families.

Derek Hooper

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...