Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Cavender, Toms and Pelley families
 Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:10 pm 

I'm working on my husband's ancestry and I've hit a dead end. My husband's great grandparents are Elias Toms and Jane (widow Pelley) that's as far back as I've managed to get.

Elias Toms was born in 1821 in Joe Batts Arm, Nfld and died in 1913 in Rattling Brook, Nfld. His first marriage was to Julia Brett (1831-1870) who was born and died in Joe Batts Arm. His second wife was Jane (widow Pelley) was born in Nfld in 1836 and died in Rattling Brook in 1912. This was her second marriage as well; I'm not sure of her maiden name or the first name of her Pelly husband.

Elias Toms and Jane (widow Pelley) married Nov. 20, 1873 in Shoe Cove, Green Bay, Nfld. They had two daughters that I'm aware of...Selina Jane (1873-1854) who married John Foster and my husbands grandmother Julia Ann Toms born in Brook, Green Bay, Nfld in 1874 and died in Toronto in 1951. Julia married Patrick Cavender who was either born in Nfld or England in 1873 and died in Toronto in 1930. They married Sept. 29, 1892. In 1912 Patrick, Julia and the children moved to New Aberdeen, Glace Bay, N.S. and in the early 1920's they relocated to Toronto. All but one of their children (including my father-in-law Maxwell) were born in Tilt Cove the youngest was born in N.S. I can find information on the first three children but nothing on the rest.

Patrick's parents were George Cavender who I believe was born in England and Bridgette (Davis???) who may have been born in Nfld or England. I'm out of luck when it comes to finding anything on Patrick's family other than the few details provided by my mother-in-law.

Any information that can help me with my search on the Cavender, Toms or Pelley families would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Peggy

Post subject: Re: Cavender, Toms and Pelley families
 Post Posted: Fri May 25, 2018 5:05 pm 

Hi Peggy
I don't think anyone definitely knows the maiden name of Jane Pelley. The only candidate I can find is the Jane Vincent who married 1859 at Black Island NDB Meth to Josiah Pelley and had 3 children with him, 1859, 1862 and 1864 ,at Black Island and lastly at Jacksons Cove.
Some people have Elias Toms as the son of Robert Toms of Shoe Cove (who married Susanna Adams of Indian Burying Place, dau of John & Emma). Certainly the naming patterns are similar. But the rest of the children of Robert and Susan are associated with Shoe Cove, not Joe Batts Arm. My interest in the family is that Susanna Adams was sister to my GGG grandfather James Adams. If Elias was not the son of Robert/Susannah he must have been another close relative, like a nephew. I have not seen proof of either, but he must be either the son or a nephew. We know that Susanna Adams married Robert Toms because of her father's will.
According to a history put together by Herbert Toms, Robert was aka James Robert and was born c 1777, died 1856 age 79 yrs, per an old headstone that was once found on the beach by a Bert Toms, having fallen "over the bluff". That headstone no longer exists.
I suspect that Robert or James Robert Toms, was the son of Jacob and Susannah Toms who are mentioned in the Slade Ledgers.
I cannot locate that 1892 marriage you have for Julia and Patrick in Nfld Vital Stats. Can you share the source?
Jill Marshall (St. Johns)

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...