Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Sound Island Cemeteries
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:31 pm 

I am wondering if the cemeteries on Sound Island, Placentia Bay have ever been thoroughly transcribed. I have seen various references on this site to specific graves.

Post subject: Re: Sound Island Cemeteries
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:51 pm 

I have not seen a methodist transcription. I have a few pictures of some of the headstones of the RC Cemeteries..Philip Browne, Sarah Gilbert, Blackadar and a newer headstone of James Doyle? Would love to get a full listing.

Post subject: Re: Sound Island Cemeteries
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:32 pm 

We just came back from a visit to Sound Island. There is very little left of any of the cemeteries. The Methodist cemetery at Newtown has only a few intact markers left. The ground has shifted, many trees have grown up, Some were renewed and a few were added for the Sound Island Reunion in 1993, but today most of them are either broken beyond recognition or worn and hard to read. These are the ones we could still read.

A worn grey marble upright slab: Ernest Wesley Beck d. 1927 wife was Geneva
A new black granite upright: Azariah Stacey 1882-1947 and Bertha Ann Stacey 1917-1918; Fondly remembered; Erected by the family
A white marble upright slab: In Loving Memory of Leslie Norman darling son of Stanley & Flossie Giles died Dec. 24th 1946 Aged 15 Months
A grey marble upright slab: In Loving Memory of Annie Beck who departed this life Feb. 9, 1943, aged 49 years
A small white marble upright slab: In Loving Memory of Mary Ethel ... child of W...er & Anne Beck, died July 20, 1916 ...0 yrs & 6 months
An upright marble slab: In Loving Memory of Sidney son of Eli & Elsie Giles died Sept. 17th 1940, aged 16 years 9 months
A small metal cross with a name plate on the crossbar: Father Herbert Beck born Sept 30th 1899 died Nov 3, 1947; Son Jesse Beck Born June 10 1926 died May 7 1927
A grey marble slab, now fallen over: In Loving Memory of Jesse, Beloved Husband of Evangeline Beck, died November 20, 1917, Aged 47 years 5 months
Josiah A. Stacey, Aug. 1, 1885 - July 4, 1936, Husband of Sarah A. Peddle, Mar 7, 1887 - Dec. 23, 1958, Buried at Sunnyside

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...