Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: John Livingston of St John's, 18th century
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:49 am 

My family oral history claims that John Livingston merchant of St Johns was descended from the Livingstones of Callendar. This is supported by information in a monograph on his descendant Benjamin Morris in The Canadian Biographical Dictionary of 1881 . However , the author of a thesis on the Dissenting Church in St.Johns [ http://www.mun.ca/rels/cong/texts/journ2_new.html] states that John was from Clogher in County Tyrone Ireland, though I cannot determine on what this statement was based . From the 1794 census John appears to have arrived in Newfoundland about 1764 . He probably died about 1796. . According to a post on the Clan Livingstone website in 2008 John married twice; Katherine King May 8th, 1764 and Abigail Dougherty March 4th,1781. I note though that he said he was a bachelor at the time of the 1781 marriage not a widower.[ So were there 2 John Livingstons?]. Our family claims its descent through his daughter from the latter marriage, Mary, who married a Captain William Morris of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment , in 1806, also in St John's.
Has anyone encountered this John Livingston in their research, or could anyone advise me where to seek details of his arrival/origin, please?
Bruce

Post subject: Re: John Livingston of St John's, 18th century
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:53 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Bruce, did your John Livingston have a daughter, Sidney Spear Livingston, who married Peter Weston Carter?

If so, there is information in the composition 'The Shilling Knightage For 1882' that suggests John Livingston was from Tyrone.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:36 am 

Hi Milt, Indeed he did. Thank you for the tip. It is appreciated.
Unfortunately, it's not the answer I was hoping for, and contradicts the information in the Canadian Biographical Dictionary mentioned earlier. Now I need a third and definitive source to settle the argument. Possibly something contemporaneous, rather than these two which date from almost 100 years after his demise.
Regards
Bruce

Post Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:42 am 

In the article on the Dissenting Church in St. John's http://www.mun.ca/rels/cong/texts/journ2_new.html] there is reference to the will of John Livingston . I have not been able to locate that will; it is certainly not among the wills listed on this site. Could anyone suggest where I might search for a will for this man who died about 1796 in St.John's? Distance precludes my searching in person.
Thank you
Bruce

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...