Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Susie Jacobs or Alcock or Stanley
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:58 pm 

Hi There,
My great-grandmother Susie Jacobs (as she was most commonly known) was born to a Cod fishing family sometime between 1884-1887 possibly in the Gambo, Twillingate or Trinity Bay area's of Newfoundland (Little Heart's Ease also comes up in some stories)
Susie's father died when she was a very young girl (probably a toddler), she quite possibly had a sister named Jessie.
Susie left the island for "Canada" as a young teenager in the early 1900's and eventually settled in Montreal where she was a domestic servant to Montreal's elite for most of her adult life.
Susie had 3 children Edward Baxter Jacobs B:1912 Montreal, Inez Mary Jacobs B:1918 Sydney, Nova Scotia and Harold Bradley Jacobs B:1927 Montreal.
We believe her birth/maiden name to be Jacobs but she has also used Susan Alcock and Susie Stanley on official documents related to her children (it is very possible that any or all of these names are fake, especially because all three children were born of wedlock and had different fathers- possibly fathered by each of her employers at the time.
I have done an ancestry DNA test and seem to be strongly connected to the Penney family, some matches to the Halfyard family also Davis, Howell, and possibly Pike or Brown seem to be familiar matches to my DNA profile.
I think the only way to unravel this whole thing will be to find the stories of illegitimate children and wild young girls that have been passed down through generations. Any help anyone can give me would be much appreciated.

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...