Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Scurry/Scully surname
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:58 pm 

Hello,
Looking for any and all information anyone may have regarding the Scurry/Scully surname in Nfld,I'm trying to crack a huge brick wall ;) would love to find out who the first ancestor was that came here from Ireland.

Thanks
DeeDee Reid (Scurry)

Post subject: Re: Scurry/Scully surname
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:48 pm 

Hi, Re: Scully. There was an Edward Scully married in Trinity about 1790's wife's name Elizabeth Moore. There are three Scullys in my family tree:- Edward who owned property in Carbonear early 1800's; Judith Scully married William Bowman 1827, Hr. Grace RC parish but lived in Carbonear and Johanna, apparently unmarried also lived in Carbonear died in 1892 age 71, born in Ireland. Those three are closely related but not sure how. Judith and Johanna are likely sisters. No trace of Edward after 1870's. Hope this is helpful.
peg

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:37 pm 

Thank you so much for your reply Peg?

DeeDee

Post Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:25 pm 

Hello,

I believe I have a Scully in my family tree, but as I can not locate birth/baptism records or marriage records to verify it, I'm not really sure.

My 3x Great Grandfather is Patrick Kelley/Kelly b. Jan 1845 in Newfoundland, he married Annie Bowman b. 1854 in either 1870 or 1871 in either Carbonear or Harbor Grace. 1900 Census says they married in 1870, but we know how info changes from census to census.

I have not located baptism records for wither Patrick or Annie, I have found a marriage record for a Patrick Kelly to Ann Bowman on 1 January 1971 witnessed by Edward Bowman and Bridget Murphy in Carbonear (http://ngb.chebucto.org/Parish/st-pats- ... -car.shtml) Would the physical copy of the marriage record state the names of their parents? Can that be viewed online or ordered from the archives somewhere?

I am trying to establish who Patrick and Annie's parents are, but my preference for records over suggestions from the family trees of others has put a bit of a damper on that. I was unable to locate their birth in the Baptism and vital records provided on this site, is there another place I could look?

I went through EVERY post on this forum to look for hints, I found a few and took a screen shot to search for that info. I've searched the Birth, Death, Marriage, Wills tab links in both Harbor Grace and Carbonnear.

While I can not locate birth/baptism for Patrick or Annie, I was able to locate baptism records for their several of their children, including my 2x Great Grandfather, William John Kelley (Baptism of William Kelly, son of Patrick and Anne Kelly by H Carfagnini in Harbor Grace, NF http://ngb.chebucto.org/Vstats/pre-1891 ... 8-hg.shtml)

I did note that there are children that are in the family tree that I linked to on Ancestry.com that are not in the records of Baptism from the Roman Catholic Church in Harbor Grace, so I have marked them as possibilities on my end, unless I've found other records to substantiate the relationships.

I would like to find out more about the Kelly/Kelley Families, as well as the Bowman and Scully families.

If it is of any help, I do have the Worldwide package on Ancestry.com, I've also done DNA with 23andme, but it's that new v5 chip. We just sent off DNA samples to Ancestry.com so that we can use that data to verify relationships.

I have found that Ancestry can be frustrating as it likes to box me into certain data so I don't find information unless I do a independent search with the information on that person.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:40 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Unfortunately the early Catholic marriage records not record the names of the bride and groom's parents. When fire destroyed the Cathedral in Harbour Grace about fifteen years of records were destroyed.

I have had success researching Carbonear and Harbour Grace records by using probate records and wills, the registry if deeds, and obituaries.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:14 pm 

Edward wrote:
Unfortunately the early Catholic marriage records not record the names of the bride and groom's parents. When fire destroyed the Cathedral in Harbour Grace about fifteen years of records were destroyed.

I have had success researching Carbonear and Harbour Grace records by using probate records and wills, the registry if deeds, and obituaries.

Thank you. I wasn't aware that there had been a fire there. That is unfortunate.

I will search through those records to see if I can find more information.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:04 pm 

Hi there

I found the following BOWMAN records while searching for a Scurry/ Boland connection. Initially the surname looked like Boland so I recorded these; but for sure the name is Bowman. I thought they may help you, if you do not already have them.

I agree with your statement that a record is better than a suggestion so you may want to check the source data yourself to confirm I did not make any transcription errors.

Note the 14 year gap between the second and third child. I did not find any baptisms at Basilica Parish for this couple, so perhaps other Harbour Grace baptisms are lost in the missing records period?

1827 November 21: MARRIED
William Bowman of Carbonear and Judith Scully of said Place; witness Edward Fitzgerald and Margaret Ceasey; St. John’s and other areas 1826-1828 Volume #11B # 797; also at R.C. Immaculate Parish Harbour Grace marriages 1811-1828, page 56
Have baptisms in Harbour Grace; DNF in St. John’s

1830 August 30: Baptized
Boman Elizabeth; parents William Boman and Judith Scully; witness John Whelan and Elenor Jones; Immaculate Conception R. C. Parish Harbour Grace; Baptisms 1828-1845, page39

1832 September 30: Baptized
Boman, Charles; parents William Bowman and Johanna Scurry; sponsors Michael Costigan and Elizabeth Whelan; Immaculate Conception R. C. Parish Harbour Grace; Baptisms 1828-1845

1844 August 22: Baptized
Bowman, John; parents William Bowman and Johanna Scully; witness Simon McCarthy and Margaret Kehoe; Immaculate Conception R. C. Parish Harbour Grace; Baptisms 1828-1845
12 year gap in baptisms; dnf at Basilica

Good luck

Post Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:51 pm 

Pa99

Thank you so much for this information! I have been immersed in finding a relative of my husband's who was very elusive as well as private with his information. That has been a rather time consuming adventure!!

Where might I find this source? I combed through the Carbonear, St. Johns (all three of them) and Harbor Grace Parish records listed in the B, D, M, W tab above and did not find this information.

Is there another site or or a book with this information?

Post Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:03 pm 

Hi there

i found these records at the Provincial Archives at The Rooms. Note the reference at the end of each record for "Immaculate Conception R. C. Parish Harbour Grace". It seems as if these records are not available on line? Not all parish records are available on line.I had not looked at the B,D,W,W tab before but the RC Parish Records for Harbour Grace are available at the Rooms.
There may be other Bowman records there?? I found these because I thought Charles' name was Boland and I was looking for Boland/Scurry connection.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:13 pm 

Let me know if you have any questions?

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...