Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: First Mate SS Greenland
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:01 am 

32 years ago I purchased a portrait of a man (oil on canvas) that has an inscription on the back that reads 'First Mate - SS Greenland'. It has been very interesting to read Danny Roberts account of SS Greenland making my desire to find out more about the man in the painting. As the SS Greenland met it's fate in Newfoundland, I thought someone on this list might have some relevant information. The painting is presently being valued with the view to get it restored (cleaned and framed). It would be great to know the name of this man if possible and any further information about him. There is no date on the Paining or the stretcher. This makes it very difficult to track down the relevant crew list as the ship operated for a period of decades and in several countries. I purchased the painting in Kennett Square, Pennsylvania. I would be most grateful if anyone here could provide any information. I have a poor photograph of the painting. I will take another , hopefully better photograph, and post it.

Thank you,

Randall W. Robinson
Victoria University
Melbourne, Australia

Post subject: Re: First Mate SS Greenland
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:24 pm 

Hi Randall
I just came across your post and had to comment on it. I had a relivtive die during that fatal seal hunt of the Greenland. His name was Ambrose Rogers. His body was never found. If you stay on this site and go to the top of the page and select Historical, then select Newfoundland Disasters, then select Greenland disaster, you will find the accounts of the ship disaster and who was aboard the ship at that time.
Hope I could help
Wayne

Post subject: Re: First Mate SS Greenland
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:58 am 

Hello Wayne,

Thanks for that. Have read it through a couple times now. Finally got a picture of the painting. The painting is very dark and a bit difficult to get a great picture of but the one attached is pretty true.

All the best,

Randall

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...