Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: John Pelley of Hant's Harbour
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:59 pm 

Looking for any information about John Pelley of Hant's Harbour. I've only been able to find out a few things about him so far. He had a wife whose name was Mary Elizabeth and according to one record that he was born in June 1849 in Hant's Harbor. Been trying to find his parents names with no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you for your time.

Post subject: Re: John Pelley of Hant's Harbour
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:44 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

The name John Pelley appears more than once in the birth-baptism records for Hant's Harbour in the 1840s period.

There was a John Pelley who married Mary Elizabeth King, on December 24, 1873 at Hant's Harbour.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:20 pm 

I had a feeling there might be a few due to it being a fairly common name. I do believe that is the correct John and Mary that you have mentioned that is awesome news to have a marriage date :) Thank you

Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:12 am 

To follow up on Milt's reply, there were, as he says, more than one John Pelley in that generation. Do you know if yours if "John Thomas Pelley"? He was born on 11 Oct 1854 in Hant's Harbour & died on 02 Jan 1929 in Summerset.

There were two Mary Elizabeth Kings born in the same time period: one born to John King & Mary [Unknown] on 02 Nov 1849. I have no more info on her, so perhaps she died in infancy and the second child was named for her - a very common practice. But the Death Records for Hant's Harbour don't begin until 1861, as far as I know, so no proof. The second Mary Elizabeth King was born to Joseph King & Elizabeth Short on 15 Feb 1851. She was my great-grandfather's second cousin.

One of them did marry a John Pelley. Can you supply any more information or confirm any of this? If so, I can perhaps fill in some more blanks.

Kim

Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:27 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

The records suggest:

John Pelley was born in 1849, and he died in 1932, at the age of 83 years.
Mary Elizabeth King-Pelley was born in 1849, and she died in 1922, at the age of 73 years.

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:09 pm 

Thanks for the clarification. There are so many Pelleys it's hard to keep them straight!

Can either of you tell me the names of the children of the John & Mary Elizabeth in question?

I have copies of the Birth, Marriage & Death Records published by the Hant's Harbour Willow Tree Heritage Society, but at that, the original records did not give that much info (i.e. no names of parents in marriage records, no next of kin in death records) so it's hard to sort out everyone.

For example, the Mary Elizabeth King, born to Joseph King & Elizabeth Short had a brother named Jethro - not a common name.

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:04 pm 

I had come across one record for the birth of Jethro Pelley that lists John's middle initial as T but no further information about that. From what I remember of the one record I had found before is that it listed John Pelley as being born in February along with his wife the same year. I don't remember what record it was though.

As for Children's names for John and Mary Elizabeth I have Martha E, Jethro and Laura Ann Pelley. Makes me wonder if they named their son Jethro after Mary Elizabeth's brother since like you said it wasn't a common name.

Milt thank you so much for the death dates as well :)

Thank you both for the help it's greatly appreciated.

Post Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:05 pm 

I was incorrect about the month of birth for John Pelley. The record I had found was June 1849 and his wife was born in February :)

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...