Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Mary Anne Reid
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:13 pm 

Looking for any information on a Mary Anne Reid born around 1866. Was married to a Patrick Hyde from Red Head Cove in 1888. Assuming she is also from that area, but can't seem to find anything on her except the marriage. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Post subject: Re: Mary Anne Reid
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:40 pm 

According to her marriage record Mary Ann Reid was born in 1864 in Heart's Ease, Trinity Bay. She was listed as of the Weslyn faith. Her parents names were not given and I have not been able to find out who they were. She married Patrick Hyde Nov. 1, 1888 in Bay de Verde. She had a sister Cornelia who was married to John Carpenter. John was drowned in 1891 in Great St. Lawrence. It appears that Cornelia died shortly after 1891 because her two children were adopted and baptized Catholic in 1895. Mathilda was adopted by Mary Hallaghan of Old Perlican and Thomas by Patrick Hyde of Red Head Cove.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:47 pm 

Hi Brendan, I have since found that Mary Ann's parents were James & Louisa Reid from Hant's Harbour. Mary Ann was also born in Hant's Harbour. Would that be close to Heart's Ease? Would Mary Ann & Patrick have adopted Thomas Carpenter? My grandmother was the daughter of Patrick & Mary Ann Hyde, her name was Catherine (Kate). Left Red Head Cove at a very early age to work in service on Bell Island, where she met my grandfather Matthew Power. Are you related to the Reid's or Hyde's?

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:40 pm 

Hi Betty
I am not connected to either family. I have researched all the families of Bay de Verde and surrounding areas and my research is at the Bay de Verde Heritage House. Hant's Harbour is directly across the bay from Heart's Ease and no doubt there was close association between the two communities. John and Cornelia had another child William James born in 1885 but nothing more is known of him. It may be that he died young or was adopted in Hant's Harbour or Heart's Ease. Mary Ann and Patrick did adopt Thomas as per the records when he was baptized Catholic in 1895. Thomas married Sarah Hatch around 1915 and had a large family. They later moved to the Carbonear area where some of the family still live today.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:03 pm 

Thank you very much Brendan for the information, Did Thomas keep the name Carpenter or did he take the name Hyde?

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:04 pm 

He kept the name Carpenter.

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...