Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Surname Dawson from Spaniard's Bay.
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:43 pm 

Hi members
I'm searching for any connections or information on a James Dawson born in Cullen County, Kilkenny, Ireland, I don't have a birth year but he was in his 50's when he died on 21 Mar 1856 in Spaniard's Bay, NL. His wife's name was Mabella she died sometime after 1856. I have an Alice Dawson born abt 1877 and she married a John Ryan from Spaniard's Bay and I'm trying to find out if she is related to this James Dawson's family. I also have an Anne Dawson with no dates married to a Bernard Galway born abt 1898 but don't have the place of his birth and wondering if Anne is related to this James or Alice Dawson. Any info or help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Tish Byrne

Post subject: Re: Surname Dawson from Spaniard's Bay.
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:17 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

James Dawson was born circa 1797 in Callan, Co. Kilkenny. He was a master carpenter. James married Mabella Russell on 15 June 1826 and they had eleven children. Two of their children married Ryans from Spaniards Bay: Bridget Dawson (1843-1930) married John Ryan, and George Dawson (1846-1918) married Bridget Ryan (1854-1902).

Richard Dawson (1832-1891) and his wife Anastasia Walsh (1833-1908) had a daughter Alice Dawson (1874-1940) who married John Ford in 1898 and John Ryan in 1922.

Anastasia Dawson (1901-1991) who married Bernard Galloway in 1923, was the daughter of James Dawson (c1863-1904) and Mary Margaret Brazil (1867-1950), and the granddaughter of Richard Dawson and Anastasia Walsh. Bernard Galloway was the son of Thomas Galloway and Mary Byrne.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:47 pm 

Hi Edward
Thank you for responding to my request for info on this family. I have a picture of James Dawson's headstone and I did post them on FindAGrave but I also send the pictures to Don Tate to be posted on the web site so if you don't have the picture those are two locations you can check for it or let me know where I can send you a copy and I will gladly do so.
You state that James and Mabella had 11 children with Bridget and George being 2 of them. Was Richard Dawson that married Anastasia Walsh also one of their children? Or was Richard Dawson a brother to James Dawson? I'm thinking that you meant him as a child of James and Mabella but I don't want to assume anything. So if you could verify that for me I would appreciate it. I'm still checking my records on this surname so I may have other questions for you, if that's okay. Because I still have a Margaret, Martha and a Mary Dawson that I'm not able to place with parents or siblings. Thanks again and please let me know about the pic.

Tish

Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:06 pm 

Hi again Edward forgot to mention to you that my aunt Maime is married to a John Ryan, he is descended from the Thomas Ryan and Margaret Gosse line from Spaniard's Bay. I'm related to the Byrne and Galway from that area.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:08 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

All of the Dawsons in the Brigus-Bay Roberts-Harbour Grace area are descended from James Dawson and Mabella Russell. Richard Dawson (1832-1891) was their fourth child. I can identify most of the female Dawsons, but the repetitive use of names makes it difficult to distinguish one Mary from another.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:01 pm 

Hi Edward the John Ryan that married Alice Dawson in 1922 is the ancestor of my aunt's husband. John Ryan was married first to a Margaret Gosse and they had 7 children from what I've been told. Their son Edward was the father of my aunt's husband John (aka Jack) Ryan. Edward was also married twice he had 10 children from one marriage and a daughter from the other marriage. If you have any questions please contact me at any time. Good luck with your research and thank you for your help with the Dawson and Ryan family.

Tish Byrne

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...