Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Hamlin, Hamblyn, Hamblin or Hamlyn surname (from St. John's)
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:45 pm 

Looking for parentage of John V. Hamlin (Hamlyn, Hamblin, Hamblyn) from St. Johns. He married a Mary Goss. My grandfather's Grandmother, Martha J. was born in Jan. 1831 in Newfoundland. I was told from early on that Martha's family were "loyalists" from Massachusetts and fled to Newfoundland (no hints whether that is even vaguely true, yet).

Specific hope is for a trustworthy link from John V. (I think for Valentine's day....his birthday)....and to rule in (or out) that Hugh Hamlin was his father.

SuzanneE.

Post subject: Re: Hamlin, Hamblyn, Hamblin or Hamlyn surname (from St. Joh
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:32 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Hugh Hamlyn was a sailmaker and John V. Hamlyn was also a sailmaker. The naming pattern of John's children suggest a connection with Hugh Hamlyn and Martha Greenslade and his son Samuel (1829-1830) was given the middle name of Hugh.

I suspect that Hugh was likely born in Widdicombe-in-the-Moor, Devon, and he was related to the Tremills of Petty Harbour.

Mary Gosse was from Torbay but her ancestors originally came from Spaniards Bay.

There were a few American Loyalist families in Newfoundland (Webber, Green, Tree) but the vast majority of the Loyalists went to Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Ontario.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:39 pm 

Edward :) Thank you. I have always thought that Hugh was likely John (as well as Hugh Jr.)'s father. But what would be your rationale for ing that Hugh"was likely born in Widdicombe-in-the-Moor, Devon, and he was related to the Tremills of Petty Harbour". I would appreciate your thinking on that, as well (of course) on Mary's earlier ancestors.

It has been a round about challenge to try to sort this out, especially with each of the 2 generations of Hugh Hamlins BOTH marrying women named "Mary Greenslade !" And of course the wild and unpredictable shift in the spelling of "Ham*n" hasn't made it any easier.

And Solomon Goss is in there too....hoping that it is the one that the Holiday of meat is inspired by !

My father's cousin (who sadly died right after Christmas) and I had been whirling in circles over this "situation"....understanding, of course that numerous records (as well as the city !) of St. Johns have been burned !

I do know that "our" John Hamlin left Newfoundland after several of their infants had died in infancy (do YOU have any idea of where they were buried?) and the family went to Boston, where they lived. I had found the headstone for only Mary Goss (and not her husband) many years ago in Massachusetts and she is buried with her daughter, Martha Elms, in Forest Hill Cemetery in Jamaica Plain. I had always wondered where John had gone.

It turns out that the Hamlins moved from Boston to New York City. And in 2012 I figured out that John V. Hamlin (who died on 24 Feb 1864) and 2 of their sons are buried (without headstones) in Green-Wood Cemetery. It appears that after their deaths, Mary moved back and lived with Martha and her husband, James C. Elms I, until her death.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:51 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

If you don't have it already.......John Hamlyn, sailmaker, age 30 years, accompanied with his wife and three children, sailed from St. John's, NL. to Boston, Massachusetts, as passengers in the schooner Mary Jane, Master Edward Organ, arriving in Boston on 11-8-1833.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:01 pm 

I did have that information. But I still would like to know how you got your ideas about John's parents.

And can one post photos in these replies ? I have a copy of the photo of Mary Goss' headstone I could share.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:28 pm 

The top Hugh would have been 16 and the other Hugh would have been around 37 when John V. Hamlyn would have been born in Newfoundland (around 1801) but how can I (we ?) figure out which Hugh went to Newfoundland ?

Hugh Hamlyn
England Births and Christenings
Name Hugh Hamlyn
Gender Male
Christening Date 23 Feb 1785
Christening Place TOPSHAM,DEVON,ENGLAND
Father's Name William Hamlyn
Mother's Name Elizabeth

Hugh Hamlyn
England Births and Christenings
Name Hugh Hamlyn
Gender Male
Christening Date 25 Mar 1764
Christening Place WIDECOMBE IN THE MOOR,DEVON,ENGLAND
Father's Name John Hamlyn
Mother's Name Grace

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:46 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Hugh Hamlin, his wife, and four children are listed in the 1794-5 census of St. John's. He states he has lived in Newfoundland for 24 years (circa 1770-1). If Hugh was the same gentleman born at Widdicombe-in-the-Moor he likely came to the colony as a child.

John Tremills (1778-1862) married Elizabeth Hamlyn (c1782-1846) in 1803. The naming pattern of their children is similar to the Hamlyn family - Martha, Richard, William, Mary.
Both the Tremills and Hamlyns had some sort of relationship with Jonas Barter.

Perhaps the name files created by the late Dr. Keith Matthews may provide some clues. If you haven't checked them already I would check the Registry of Deeds and the court records for a petition to probate Hugh Hamlin's estate (not on-line). The Greenslades were an old St. John's family and my family rented property from them.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:02 pm 

I have done some research and found some information on the Hamlin and Greenslade families of St.John's area. I am related to the Greenslade's and would be happy to share what I have. The two Hugh Hamlin's that married Mary Greenslade's is confusing but from what I have found I believe that it was 4 different people, not the same Mary or the same Hugh, if that makes any sense.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:22 pm 

Yes to the 2 different Hugh Hamlins and the 2 different Mary Greenslades they married ! That part I have sorted out ! The first Hugh record in Newfoundland I could find (via family search) was the 1787 marriage record. The second Hugh was his son and was born in the early 1800s. For some reason (is it the tradition in Newfoundland ?) Hugh JR never bothered with the "Jr."

And there being NO records of the elder Hugh Hamlin's birth AND the fact that he stated in the census that he had been in Newfoundland for x number of years, it is EASY to figure he was born outside of Newfoundland. I have had a suggestion that he was born in England....but no facts or references to prove that.

And I found no death record of the elder Hugh Hamlin in Newfoundland. Here's a thought, which I throw out there....there were Hamlens in Maine (YES, YET ANOTHER SPELLING !!!). Has anyone found any satisfactory link between Sailmakers (or otherwise) or Hamlin, Hamblyn etc. wandering back and forth between St. Johns and Maine ?

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:46 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

According to the records, Hugh Hamlin, who married Mary Greenslade in 1787, was born c.1750, and he died in 1814, at the age of 64 years.

And, Hugh Hamlin Jr., who married Mary Greenslade in 1813, was born c.1788, and he died in 1865, at the age of 77 years.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:50 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

December 31, 1787, Hugh Hamlin and Mary Greenslade, at St. John’s Anglican Cathedral, Witnesses: Michael Bulley, Thomas Willcocks.

December 7, 1813, Hugh Hamlin Junior, bachelor, St. John’s, and Mary Greenslade, spinster, St. John’s, at St. John’s Anglican Cathedral, Witnesses: Henry Johnson, Mary Hamlin.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:52 am 

I have records which indicate that some of Hugh Hamlin's descendants were born in New York but baptised in Newfoundland.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:37 pm 

MILT: What records are you referencing and where you obtained those records because this. below, is all new to me ....where was he born ~ 1750 (any information on parents ?) and where did he die (and do you have information on his burial ?) This would be amazing information and would help me enormously. mation:

"According to the records, Hugh Hamlin, who married Mary Greenslade in 1787, was born c.1750, and he died in 1814, at the age of 64 years.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:50 pm 

To hdelaney: "MY" (hopefully) Hugh was married in 1787 and died in early 1800s. So with your dates for a Hugh's children , MAYBE we can figure out whether it was the elder Hugh or his son.

In 2012 we went to NYC to look for ancestors. Darned if the first paper I turned over when we got home was an old record from Green-wood cemetery that my grandfather had in his papers. I think it was spelled Hamblyn ! so I didn't really understand what it was until that very second. John V. Hamlin was buried there along with a couple sons....it was an unmarked grave so I didn't have to kick myself too much ! HisI"MY" (hopefully) Hugh was married in 1787 and died in early 1800s. So with your dates, MAYBE we can figure out whether it was the elder Hugh or his son.

John V. Hamlin's widow died in Massachusetts and her gravestone is in Forest View Cemetery in Jamaica Plain. Her headstone uses her maiden name "Mary Goss" so for years I had wondered where her husband had gone....he had obviously predeceased her when they lived in NYC.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:04 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

The burial of Hugh Hamlin is included in the records for the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist Anglican Church, St. John's, Newfoundland - Burials 1812–1824: “Hugh HAMLIN, age 64 years, September 19, 1814.”

You may be able to peruse these records at PANL (Provincial Archives of Newfoundland and Labrador), at 'The Rooms', St. John's, NL.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:13 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Harbour and District of St. John's 1794-1795, First Division - From Riverhead to R.H. Roope's Cove:
Occupier: Hugh Hamlin.
Owner: Exeter Bank.
Occupier’s Occupation: Shoreman.
Years in Newfoundland: 24.
Marital Status: Married.
Adult Males in Household: 1.
Adult Females in household: 1.
Male children in household: 2.
Female children in household: 2.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:20 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

The name Hugh Hamlin is mentioned in these pages.

GN 2/1/A [Microfilm Box No. 4] Vol. 11 (1785-1789):

20 August 1786

Gov. John Elliot

John Dingle

It appears that John Dingle wrote a letter to Gov. Elliot saying that if the credit of a Boatkeeper becomes doubtful, the fish and oil should not be removed from the room until he is given security which is greater in value than his credit. Gov. Elliot agrees, but also says he does not think that the Boatkeeper should be forced to sell to one merchant in particular unless he owes that merchant, in which case the same price is to be given as any other person.

Mr. Arthur French has written a petition to Gov. Elliot, saying that George Williams has moved a stone which marks the border of their plantation. George Williams responds by saying that he tried to contact Mr. Arthur French to have the land surveyed, but could never reach him, and then his servants unknowingly moved the stone when they were clearing land for him. He then offered to have the land surveyed by someone who was familiar with the premises, but Mr. French petitioned Gov. Elliot. Instead., Gov. Elliot orders them to have the matter dealt with by a surrogate.

[page 25 appears twice, here and again after the next document. Skip ahead to where page 25 appears a second time to read the document which appears there in its entirety].

No page number given

It appears that John Dingle wrote a letter to Gov. Elliot saying that if the credit of a Boatkeeper becomes doubtful, the fish and oil should not be removed from the room until he is given security which is greater in value than his credit. Gov. Elliot agrees, but also says he does not think that the Boatkeeper should be forced to sell to one merchant in particular unless he owes that merchant, in which case the same price is to be given as any other person.

[This is an entirely new document from the one on the preceding page].

[A number of pages within this document are photographed more than once on the microfilm].

Mr. Arthur French has written a petition to Gov. Elliot, saying that George Williams has moved a stone which marks the border of their plantation. George Williams responds by saying that he tried to contact Mr. Arthur French to have the land surveyed, but could never reach him, and then his servants unknowingly moved the stone when they were clearing land for him. He then offered to have the land surveyed by someone who was familiar with the premises, but Mr. French petitioned Gov. Elliot instead. Gov. Elliot orders them to have the matter dealt with by a surrogate. Captain Gower said that in his opinion the complaint of the petitioner was well founded, however the “injury complained of” was done by a servant of Mr. Williams without his knowledge, therefore, both parties put amend to the situation, and have the boundaries marked by 4 person well familiar with the fishery. The boundaries were set.

[The version of the document which begins on this page continues through to its entirety].

4 August 1786

The preceding document is followed by the testimony of four individuals (Hugh Hamlin and William LeRowe; and shipmasters Samuel Jutsham and Andrew Barnes) who were asked upon the request of Captain Gower for his report.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:26 am 

SuzanneE, send me an email and I can supply with the info I have. My email is hannahdelaney@hotmail.com

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:21 pm 

Here's a tag-along comment and question for those of you who may be more familiar with folks moving in and out of Newfoundland regarding the Hamlin, Hamblin, Hamlyns:

My grandfather Elms had claimed that someone in the family of Martha J. Hamlin Elms (his grandmother and the daughter of John V. Hamlin, as discussed already) had been a LOYALIST and had thus moved to Newfoundland. He also thought that whomever that (unnamed) family was had come from Boston. Thus far I have found zero information to support either claim.

BUT, I do know that there were a bunch of Hamlin (etc) families on or near Cape Cod, MA, early on. AND I just found a whole bunch of dead Hamlens, born in Massachusetts, who moved to and died in MAINE. And it is known that Hugh Hamlin, through the census, had come from "somewhere else".

Several people thought perhaps Hugh had been born in England and then ended up in Newfoundland. I think that there were Hamlins (or a variation) in Ontario. BUT, does anyone have a feel about how likely it might have been for someone who was born in Maine to move to Newfoundland ? Hugh was a sailmaker so that might be one reason he moved OR maybe there's an off-chance he or his family was Loyalist.

And although it's fairly certain that I won't get nor do I expect any certainty: I wonder if any one can lend even an opinion if, "statistically." the odds weigh more in the favor of immigration to Newfoundland from England, or from Ontario or from Maine ?

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:25 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Most of the Loyalists of Maine fled during the war to Passamaquoddy Bay. They wanted to be close to home when the war ended because no one was certain where the border would be located. There was hope that part of Maine would be given back to the British.

After the war the Loyalists filed claims with the British government for their losses. Most received compensation. These petitions were indexed and published years ago. You may want to check these records for both Hamlin and Greenslade.

Less than a handful of Loyalists settled in Newfoundland (Webber, Green, Tree, Beenland, and Gardner) and they came because they already had family here.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:47 pm 

Edward....discounting the "loyalist" tale..... is anyone aware of any particular history or rationale which shows that any people from Maine would move to Newfoundland ? How about the move from Ontario ?? (I am grasping at straws...otherwise I'll figure England but there aren't any records of ship's manifests).

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:29 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

There was significant movement of people between Nova Scotia and Newfoundland, but very little with places so far away like Maine and Ontario.

In the 1794/5 census of St. John's, Hugh Hamlin reported that he came to Newfoundland in 1770/1, which is six years before the start of the American rebellion. A wonderful book, "The Peopling of Newfoundland", John J. Mannion, editor, reveals that the majority of the English who settled in St. John's were from Devon (page 27). A map on page 38 shows that most of the Devon migrants came from the southern part of the county. As I suggested previously, I would look to the area near Widdicombe-in-the-Moor.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:02 pm 

THANKS, Edward (and others)..... This forum has given me a lot of helpful advice.

And if I live until I'm about 120, I might get it all "organized"....whatever THAT means ! :lol:

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:56 pm 

" The fire broke out at 8.30 a.m. on
Tuesday, 9th June 1846, in the shop of
Hamlin the cabinet maker, in George Street,
off Queen Street, and was caused by the
overboiling of a glue-pot. The fire immediately

p458 Prowse A History of Newfoundland

Hope this isn't one of yours. He started the fire in St.John's accidently in 1846.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:57 pm 

"Our" Hamlin, John V. was not the cabinet maker ! He was a sailmaker (although at one point he apparently made awnings, too) and they left Newfoundland in 1833. So, maybe one of his siblings or cousins was the one who started that fire. Phewwwww !

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:37 pm 

Glad to hear it! :D

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:25 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Richard Hamlin, son of Hugh Hamlin Jr., was the cabinet maker at St. John's, 1840s.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:34 pm 

Thanks, MILT ! This message board has been such a big help. I don't know how long it has been available, because I had not been able to get back to genealogy for quite some time ....

But everyone has been so helpful on this site and I wanted to reinforce my gratitude !

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...