Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Info on Evelyn Margaret Russell (Walsh), daughter of Stephen
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:50 pm 

Looking for any information and especially a picture of Evelyn Margaret Russell Walsh. She was married to Edwin John Walsh and lived in Halifax, Nova Scotia where she passed away in 1958. Believe she lived in Newfoundland for a year in the early 1950's. Her Father was Stephen Russell, born in New Waterford and Mother was Alicia Maud Ash. I am married to her Son William Charles Walsh and he is searching for a picture or information about her. Thank you in advance for ANY information you might have. Nancy Walsh, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post subject: Re: Info on Evelyn Margaret Russell (Walsh), daughter of Ste
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:20 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Stephen Russell of Bay Roberts (aged 23 years) married Alice Maud Ash of Harbour Grace (aged 21 years) on May 5, 1908 at Harbour Grace. He was Methodist and she was Church of England.

Evelyn Margaret Russell was born at New Waterford, NS on 29 November 1913.
I think Stephen Russell died at New Waterford, NS on 19 November 1915 of heart disease.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:41 am 

Thank you very much for the reply. Some of your information does not match what I have so will continue to investigate and see what else can be found out Nancy Walsh

Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:59 pm 

Edward,
The information I have on Evelyn Margaret Walsh is taken from her death certificate found on a Nova Scotia Genealogy site. It was handwritten by her husband Edwin John Walsh and shows her birth date as Dec 4, 1921. My husband Bill Walsh has no memories of her and his surviving sibling recently told him they had lived in Newfoundland with his Mom while his parents were separated in the early 1950's. He can remember being in Newfoundland at some time during his youth, but that's about all. (Yes, it is a complicated Family.)
Any thing else you can tell me is very much appreciated.

Thank You,
Nancy Walsh

Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:25 pm 

I found a picture online of burial place of Evelyn Walsh. The headstone shows her name as Margaret Evelyn Walsh, 1913 - 1918. She is buried in Mount Hermon Cemetery in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

The search for a picture continues.

Nancy Walsh

Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:29 pm 

I suspect the first Evelyn died in 1918 as according to your headstone find, because without a doubt there is an 1913 birth record for her as the daughter of Stephen and Alice/Alicia.

Likewise, the death record is very definite about her birth in 1921 and I also believe this is true; I suspect she was named after her sibling that had died, that happened a lot.

Thing is, the records for 1921 are sealed; all Nova Scotia will present online is birth records over 100 years old, her birth doesn't qualify. I suggest you get in touch with the NS Vital Records and apply for a copy of her birth certificate as a descendant.

The marriage limit online is 75 years, so I suspect that is why this can't be found online either. The limitation for death records is 50 years, that's why her death at such a young age is available to you.

I would also say the marriage Edward outlined below is accurate, but I haven't seen the record about father Stephen dying in 1915..although that would blow my theory if he did! :)

I will add that I found they had another daughter Ruth Mary on July 8 1915. That perhaps gives you another avenue to research for more information and a picture.

The other thing I will add is that I see there were 4 Stephen's born in Bay Roberts in 1885!! I think you will need to find his death certificate for his parent's names if you are to get back any further!

Regards
Carol

Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:33 pm 

Thank you, Carol, for all the info!!

I thought in the beginning maybe the Evelyn Margaret born in 1913 had died and the new baby was named after her. And the headstone shows the names reversed to Margaret Evelyn. And I could not understand how my Father-in-Law would show such a different date, that would have made her 12 years older than him. Their first Son was born in 1946 so maybe they married prior to his birth and in 2017 the marriage record will be released.

At some point I thought that maybe Stephen's will was shown as probated in 1951. And now that you have found another Sister Ruth Mary I will start looking for her. We had heard about a Cousin Evelyn so Ruth might be her Mother.

I am trying to find out as much as I can before investing in the paid websites that might have a picture of her. I think my Husband has some traumatic loss of memories as she passed when he was just 9 and the Family history is very involved. But then he sees a name or place and he remembers more. And I am new at this type of search, find it quite fascinating, confusing, and rather emotional. And I have been remembering conversations from when we first met and married.

Sincerely,
Nancy
Last bumped by Russ2can on Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:33 pm.

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...